What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Tried the link, works ok. Thanks, Rick! Sent the novella to my Kindle and read the first few pages. It's very funny, I like the concept and the characters so far. I'll save it for later.

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I'm not someone who accumulates a long TBR list, nor do I download tons of free books. Having a stack of books (real or digital) just makes me crazy. I binge TV because I like stories and if I happen to get some good writing , great. But I'm a slow reader in part because I savor the words as much as the story and if the words don't hold me the story won't. That is not to imply I read literature-- I do, though I am more inclined to read genre, but I care about how the words weave the characters and the stories. When I find a book I really want to read, I'll mostly buy it and I may not shop for a sale price. Because when I find a book I want to read, I want to read it now. Which means I also have no patience for waiting for the library to make the ebook available, because in part by the time they do I may no longer want to read it at that moment. I may have two or three books in mind for the future, but if something else grabs me, they may fall off the list. But, for instance, when I finish the book I'm reading (still finishing up A Darker Shade of Magic), I suspect I'll be reading Warlight and will likely buy it from Kindle for full price. Heck, it's less than Pizza night and lasts way longer. :vbwink: This is just my neurotic way.

I'm clearly alone in this regard. :vbgrin:

By the way, seeing Fluency, which looks good, made me think of Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur Clark, which I read in my early 20s I think (a damn long time ago). Never read the sequels. May need to do that at some point (but I won't buy them, if I do, until I'm ready to read them).

Retirement may change everything. I might even change to dead tree books again.

lelisa13p, raspabalsa and RickAgresta like this.
  3. raspabalsa

Same here. I mostly check the 1 star reviews. I think this is justified in that many digital books have terrible formatting and proofreading. Maybe 5% of my purchases have been disappointing even before accounting for plot, characters, and style. Usually these complains are published in the 1 star reviews. I seldom pay attention to complains about the writing side of things, since I prefer to form my own opinion of what I read.

Interestingly, my latest ebook purchases are from independent, self-published authors, and they seem to make a much better job at proofreading and formatting than the big publishing houses. I suppose a major factor is that newer books are 100% created in digital media, while older ones must be digitized by non-optimal means. But I also like to think that independent authors care more about the readers than the old-school, established names. :newpalm:

Again, same here. As I've mentioned elsewhere before, my former collection of paper books has been for the most part given away to family and friends. I'm little by little re-purchasing titles. Right now I'm planning to complete Clancy's Jack Ryan series, but only up to book 9, Red Rabbit, the last one where Ryan Sr. plays the main role before Ryan Jr. taking over. I don't think I'll follow the series beyond that, especially since the newer books are written by a series of authors commissioned by Clancy's heirs after his death. I'm also trying to buy all Asimov's short stories, but lots of them are not available in digital format. After Asimov, I'll re-purchase Stephen King's works, but probably only up to The Stand and the complete Dark Tower series. Then I'll purchase the full Calvin & Hobbes collection. I have to research this, because there are several collections, and I'm not yet sure which ones complete the series in a chronological order.

I gave up and just let my TBR list grow :D . Last night I was checking prices and my TBR list on Amazon is over USD 200. I'll try to keep it at USD 10 / month, so in about 2 years I should be done, except that I'm sure the list will keep on growing. I love to read books over and over again, and that's one of the main reasons I don't advance on my TBR list fast enough.

I'm committed to digital media. Haven't purchased a paper book for myself in over 6 years. I honestly don't miss them. IMO it's simply much more convenient to have all of them in a truly pocketable format.

4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Convenient, yes, which is why I do digital with commuting and all. But, maybe because I'm an old guy, I still love the experience of real paper in my hands. The texture, the smell. And you can't beat the battery life. ;-)

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

My pleasure, raspy :newpalm:

A quick synopsis of how it begins: in the not too distant future, this human is his own 'internet of things' meaning he has. implants/artificial parts/etc. which all communicate. what some of them are is easy to figure out -- fingerd, armd, eyed -- finger, arm, eye. I'm stumped, though, on parrotd. anyone able to enlighten me?

lelisa13p and raspabalsa like this.
  6. raspabalsa

I haven't finished the novella (I'm saving it for a flight this week), but I think parrotd is kind of the central operator, managing or controling the other components. Remember that early in the story it's stated that he became the leader by a non-democratic process Mussolini would have envied (or words to that effect) :D :D. It's also stated he's the "smartphone" daemon. I haven't gone far enough to see his smartphone functions at work. It's funny how the daemons have a very different perception of time compared to humans. Saying more will spoil the fun ;)

EDIT: My kids would surely call me old, but we're quite the opposite: they prefer paper books, while I've fully embraced the ebooks. So no, the choice of media does not qualify -or disqualify- someone from being called "old" :D

jigwashere, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. RickAgresta

There is a glossary at the end of the book which provides the answer, "that parrot on a shoulder looking over all that happens is analogous to a smartphone running things" (paraphrased)

8. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Finishing up the sixth Jack Reacher book, Without Fail. I'll admit, I'm glad to have been convinced to try this series, despite its apparent popularity (popular doesn't mean good).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9. RickAgresta

No, but in this case, I've found the installments I've read to be well-written, internally consistent (externally, too), and at least in my addled mind, plausible…

EDIT: addled in part because I didn't begin with the first book in the series :vbrolleyes:

lelisa13p, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  10. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Reacher? Yeah. Konrath went out of his way to break out of the formulae.

Though I've seen quite a few nits which could be picked, overall it's an entertaining and as you said largely plausible series.

Next up, Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury for an online book club discussion starting in <gulp> three days.