What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Couldn't finish Remanence last night. Had to force myself to put it down around 10 pm, only because I had to wake up very early today. I just flew through the last 15%, and it was an amazing ride! Or read. Or write :) . Almost every one of the last 20 or so chapters ended in a cliffhanger, and the end was very well executed IMO. But then... just kidding. I'll have to stop here. Don't want to spoil it for anyone.

I just purchased Inheritance, third book in the series. It worries me that it was named differently on its first release (The Druid Gene), and it seems the author wrote it as a stand-alone novel, released it, then decided it belonged to the Confluence universe and renamed it. I'm feeling apprehensive about this. The description on Amazon didn't help because it mentioned other, new characters. I want to read more about my heroes! Ah well, I'm committed to the series, so I'll have to trust the author and begin.

I'm going on a field trip starting tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to being 10 to 12 hours in a car, and that's just to get to the "field" part of the trip. Luckily, I'm not driving. But I've never been able to read in a car. The irregular speed and motion make me sick very quickly. I don't like audiobooks, so I'll just have to start reading tonight, sleep during the drive, then continue once I get to the hotel tomorrow night.

EDIT: I just made the big mistake of reading Amazon's description of Valence , fourth and last book in the series. I hurriedly closed the tab after reading just the first sentence in the description, but it was too late already. Now I understand and know what to expect of the 3rd and 4th books. I didnt want to know. No one else to blame but myself. I'll just go bang my head on the wall for a few minutes :(

Second edit : Corrected title of fourth book above.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  2. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

Two-thirds of the way through Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold History of English by John WcWhorter, and I must say, this is something new for me.

Whilst reading other histories of English, it always niggled at the back of my mind that the authors rarely mention any influence of the native speakers on the language that has become modern English.

Mister McWhorter addresses this in a sensible, though by his own admission unorthodox way: He as a linguist argues that the etymologists are more interested in the "what happened when" than the "this happened why" and he explains quite well the lack of written proof (required by the aforementioned etymologists) for his theories.

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Not sure how much longer the deal is for, but it's for 10 free current sci-fi e-books:

https://discoverscifi.lpages.co/dsf-10/

EDIT: link to the book DL page, don't know if it'll work for anyone...if it does, though, you can see the titles and authors

https://discoverscifi.com/pick-a-book/

Lastly, I've download all the books on that page as epubs...in case anyone misses out, or can't grab them due to geo-restrictions

book1-12.png book13.png

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  5. Dngrsone

Hm. Never heard of any of them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Dngrsone, I think we have similar tastes. I read that when it came out. If you liked it, you might like the book Robert MacNeil (from the MacNeil-Lehrer Report) wrote on the English language (with companion documentary).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_English

Since sci-fi and fantasy seems popular here, is talking about old series too far off the topic?

Anyone remember things like Katherine Kurz's Deryni Chronicles?

Also, for sci-fi, I'd recommend the Science Fiction Hall of Fame collections. Volume I is the best, with some stories people might recognize from TV episodes they inspired like Star Trek and Twilight Zone or movies.

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  7. Dngrsone

I haven't read the Deryni Chronicles in thirty years. I've been slowly accumulating books as they come on sale, but I'm afraid I will still have to lay out some money to make a readable collection.

Lord help me if I ever want to get the entire Xanth series in digital form..

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I grabbed a few books from Rick's list above: Assimilated, Future Chronicles, and The Other. Downloaded them in epub and also in mobi format because I'm considering moving all my library to Kindle. I purchased Moon+ Reader a long time ago, and keep all my free and non-Amazon books there, but as of lately I find the Kindle app much more enjoyable. So I enabled document storage on my Kindle app, and started emailing books to my library. Works nicely, requires minimal user intervention, and books are shown in the library along the ones purchased from Amazon. This is quite a reversal from my previous practice of removing DRM from Amazon books and copying them to the SD card to read on M+R. I'm sure it's not wise to move everything to a walled garden, that's why I'll continue to download new books as .epub and .mobi, and store both files on my computer. I'll also continue to remove DRM from my new Amazon books that have it and store the files on my PC, so my library will be future-proof. OTOH, if Amazon were to disappear, I'm certain civilization would collapse almost immediately and nothing would matter anymore.

Another more immediate problem is my TBR list. I'm receiving daily recommendations from Amazon, Bookbub, and just signed to Book Barbarian. That practically guarantees at least one new book every day :newpalm:

9. Dngrsone

I use PocketBook myself, though I do store my Amazon books through the Kindle app as a backup of sorts.

Which reminds me, I need to back up my hard drive...

Anyhow, I haven't hit Book Barbarians yet, I have the link, and will once I get back to my computer.

I also keep an eye on deals people post on the Mobileread Forums (I also track my reading and participate in the reading club there).

My TBR is growing, for sure, but I'm working hard to restrict my buying to less than $2 a book (the library helps), and when looking at purchases from Amazon, I read the reviews with the intent of finding excuses not to buy.

To be honest, a lot of my purchases are to replace chunks of my physical collection, because I have too many paperbacks and very little physical storage in which to store them (despite Dngrswife's desire to have a full library of hardcopy books).

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and raspabalsa like this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

lelisa13p and raspabalsa like this.