What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

currently helping out as a beta-reader for a Dean C. Moore soon-to-be-released novel, The Star Gate. Release date is in 2 weeks, so no dilly-dallying on the read (yes, lots of other beta-readers, too). interesting so far (pure science fiction at this point, nothing mystical like Pendomus), but this is my first read of Moore, so it'll take a bit to get accustomed to his style, I think.

Mi An, lelisa13p and Dngrsone like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I just finished reading Fluency by Jennifer Foehner Wells. Got the recommendation on Bookbub, found it at a reasonable price on Amazon, but I must admit that the book cover is what really drew me to it: a tiny human spaceship facing a massive alien spaceship drifting in space. The author herself has admitted that the choice of artist helped boost sales. It was a good read, although it started slowly. It's mostly a space opera novel with some militaristic undertones. It's nice that the techno-babble is not overdone, although there's a fair amount of alien words. I guess this is to be expected, because the novel is about first contact and communication with an alien species. It's the first in a four-book series, so of course it ended in a cliffhanger so dramatic that I had to purchase the second one right away :D

An unexpected bonus: I checked the author's blog, found a post about a collection called The 2018 Military SF Bundle, available on StoryBundle. I love the premise: collections priced at "pay what you want", DRM-free books, you can select how to divide payment between author and StoryBundle, and books are delivered directly to your device of choice. You can even select to donate part of the payment to charities. Most of the authors in the bundle are unknown to me, but this strikes me as a great (great = cheap :) ) way to find new authors to follow. There are other bundles available on the site, each one with an expiration date.

I just re-read this and this threads, checking authors and titles. My TBR list has now become unmanageable. Luckily, I've cut down on TV time, so I have much more time to read now.

3. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

I've discovered quite a few authors through Humble Bundle and Story Bundle. I can tell you that Kevin Anderson and Timothy Zahn are both good.

I fact, this bundle does look promising, as if I need to add another dozen books to my TBR.

Speaking of, Fluency is in my TBR... I am dragging it toward the top right now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I'm currently reading an unusual, for my normal tastes, book. It's a fantasy novel, and I mean pure fantasy, the first of a trilogy (of course-- I think stand alone novels are against the law) called A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab. It's sort of Harry Potter meets Game of Thrones (though I confess I've never read or watched GoT) with four worlds that each have in common a city of London and varying degrees (and temperaments) of magic. Our London, Gray London, which in the novel seems to be late 1700s or early 1800s, has no magic; Red London is vibrant and is alive with magic, White London has become unbalanced and magic is used for power and Black London became consumed by magic out of control and sealed off to prevent disaster to the other Londons and their worlds. The protagonist is one of two last known members of a magical race, the only ones who can open doors between the worlds. Then someone shows up with a forbidden artifact that shouldn't exist from Black London and ... The protagonist, Kell, ends up teaming with a woman street thief from our London. Basically, the artifact has to be returned to Black London when everyone will kill for it and no one knows what is waiting in Black London.

A very fun ride so far. I'm probably in it for all three books, but will likely read other things in between. I have Warlight on my radar if only because it has the best opening sentence I have ever seen in a novel (check the "look inside" link from my link to Amazon). I may have even posted that line in OoCQ, but can't remember.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  5. Dngrsone

That, too is in my TBR... you guys are reading some really good books that I haven't got to yet, LOL.

Right now, I am reading Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold History of English by John McWhorter. Now, being the English Major I am, I have read quite a few histories of the tongue, and indeed, this book points out something the other books have neglected or ignored: the role of the native tongues of the island in the early formation of the English language.

This was something I thought would be an obvious factor, but I noticed wasn't addressed in the other books. This book is oriented around this influence, it's dismissal from orthodox Etymological treatments and argues the author's reasoning why it should be legitimately considered.

It very well may be a linguists doctoral thesis, but I am enjoying it and I accept the author's arguments in favor of his theory.

6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've heard of K. Anderson and T. Zahn, although I haven't read anything by them - yet. Soon to be corrected, because I just purchased the Military SF bundle, including the "bonus" titles. That's a total of 12 new titles on my TBR list and on my Kindle app ... yay!
    I'm halfway through Remanence, the second book in the series. I've been almost literally unable to put it down since I started it this morning. If the first book started slowly, the second one started with a sprint and hasn't slackened pace yet. I just made a few stops to cook a meal (and to reheat the leftovers for tonight) and a couple power naps. It helps that I'm home alone this weekend. Plus, I revoked my TV rights until further notice :D I haven't read this much in a long time!

lelisa13p, jigwashere, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I love Zahn. I most highly recommend Angelmass and The Icarus Hunt. I liked quadrail, but it didn't rise to the level of Icarus for me. Zahn's Thrawn trilogy from the early 90s is still my favorite part of star wars, I prefer his take more than the books or the movies, and starting last year he began putting out new Thrawn prequel books, one so far with another launching this summer I think.

I actually wasn't a fan of the cobra books, trudged through the first and tried to finish the second before finally moving on, but if you do like him from that, IMO, there's many better books to be had as well.

8. Dngrsone

I pretty much stopped watching television years ago, though Dngrswife forces me to watch with her on occasion.
    I find reading more gratifying

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    RickAgresta, Hook, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Hmmm, if Dngrswife foxes you to watch television and you find reading more gratifying, you're doing something wrong. Just sayin'... :vbwink:

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

granted, the thread is *already* in the Off-Topic forum, but let's not drag it off-subject {just kidding Hook}