What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I started reading "The Day After Oblivion" by Tim Washburn, an author I'd never heard about before. Bookbub recommended it and it was on sale on Amazon, so I gave it a try. It's an apocalyptic / post-apocalyptic novel describing a worldwide nuclear holocaust. But I'm not sure about it yet. I guess I expected a techno-thriller because it started talking a lot about hacking defense systems, but now it looks more like it will dwell on the survivors in the aftermath of war. It did remind me of the film "The Day After" and the destruction of the colonies on BSG's "The Plan", so I decided to set it aside for now and will instead watch those movies and maybe other post-apocalyptic movies too. I'm declaring a Doomsday Sunday now.

Hook, RickAgresta, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Dngrsone, I used to devour books; but now in addition to the Internet, which obviously has occupied a lot of time for most people (look at the averages), I also read two newspapers a day, The New Yorker (weekly), The Atlantic (monthly), The Economist (although I've fallen way behind on that), a few literary magazines (usually quarterly), a bunch of car magazines and whisky/wine magazines. Plus, YouTube is a black hole of cool videos that seems to eat time like nobody's business.

Mi An, Hook, Dngrsone and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

I try too stay away from YouTube, and I don't have the patience for newspapers or magazines (they are what 60% advertisements now?) Considering the price...

My secret shame is Pinterest, though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jigwashere, Mi An and RickAgresta like this.
  4. EdmundDantes

There are practically no ads in The New Yorker; but you're largely right.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

update: I finished the Pendomus trilogy; all in all, I'm glad I read it. IMHO, the logic employed to explain what happened was not the type of logic I use on a daily basis, but it held the story together well enough.

<Commentary=ON>

Don't you just hate it when multiple books you've reserved at the library (and pretty much forgotten about) become available at the same time?
    <Commentary=OFF>

Annihilation
    by Jeff VanderMeer and The Rules Do Not Apply by Ariel Levy, have become my latest reads. They are worlds apart in what they're about but both promise to be good...so much for binge-watching the final 6 episodes of SHIELD....:vbgrin:

raspabalsa, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  6. Dngrsone

I am currently reading a Jack Reacher book, though soon I will start on The Three Musketeers for a book club.

lelisa13p likes this.
  7. EdmundDantes

Funny Dngrsone, I'm finally watching the last season (3) of The Musketeers from the BBC. They aired the first 2 on BBC America but skipped the third, so I had to find it elsewhere.

lelisa13p and Dngrsone like this.
  8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I also missed Season 3 of The Musketeers because of BBCAM. :vbfrown: After looking it up on iMDB, I see that Amazon Prime (which owns iMDB) will be happy :vbrolleyes: to show Season 3 to me for $1.99 per episode (10 episodes). :vbeek: Maybe my public library will have a DVD. :vbwink:

UPDATE: My local public libraries don't have this item. :vbfrown: (06/06/2018)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    RickAgresta and Dngrsone like this.
  9. Dngrsone

The public library is a good idea. It is an oft-overlooked resource.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  10. EdmundDantes

I use the library too, but I don't think the DVDs are available in Region 1. I have a VPN and used the proxy service to stream it online.