What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dngrsone, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

There used to be a thread on this topic (well, technically it's still there), but it was closed. I have no idea why.

So at the risk of making myself foolish, I am going to ask you guys, what are you reading?

I am currently reading a series by George R. R. Martin called A Song of Ice and Fire.

It's a fantasy tale set in a different world, feudalistic with iron-age technology (pre-gunpowder). To me, it's like the author went to a Renaissance Festival or something and decided to write what the "age of chivalry" was really like-- the knights are rarely virtuous, there are many traps for the unwary, particularly when it comes to politics and 'the game of thrones', and a lot of death.

The characterization is wonderful, the reader starts rooting for even the worst of the characters as we see things from their point of view. The heroes don't escape unscathed, and several of the heroes die throughout the epic.

I am thoroughly enjoying these four books (four more supposed to come out, but there's no knowing if and when that will happen), and I am inspired by the 'life is thoroughly unfair' theme.

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Threads get closed after a year or so. Anti-SPAM measure (spam-bots like old threads).

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

For the sake of literary opportunities and the fact that books don't pass in and out of favor as much as other forms of entertainment, I can find & open that old thread and merge this one into it, if you wish. :)

4. Dngrsone

Well, is it worthwhile? I mean, I read a bit, though not as much as I used to, but if no one else is going to participate, then it's an animal better left dead, then.

5. lelisa13p

Actually, I just finished a 15 page Search results viewing and couldn't locate the thread. :( Must've been pre-2007.

I try to bookmark those sorts of threads that I think might be useful to have in the future but I guess I didn't get that one.

6. Dngrsone

7. lelisa13p

Thanks for the link! :cool: I wasn't able to get out of 2008; April 2007 was beyond my range. I'm going to read back thru that thread & see what still rings a bell.

I like what you listed today; when I first read Timeline, that was the impression that Crichton wanted to convey, contrary to the romanticized images that we have from Camelot, etc. Are your books in the Public Library system? I can check.

I lament on a weekly basis the fact that I have little to no time for reading presently. This week is the first time in recent memory that I haven't had at least one book checked out from my library. :(

8. Dngrsone

I have a vast library of paperbacks (some 1,000 books), but the majority of them are in storage.

I try to get electronic copies of them now, plus the free offerings of the Gutenburg project.

There are a lot of books not in electronic form yet, though, and my local library is linked with all the public libraries in central California, so I have access to thousands of books.

It is very nice. Too bad I am employed full-time with a wife and family. :rolleyes:

I have issue with Crichton-- he was grossly inconsistent. His Andromeda Strain was one of the very few examples of a movie that was actually better than the book, but Jurassic Park was pretty decent.

9. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Dngrsone, which book in that series are you on? I made it to the fourth one "A Feast for Crows" but did not finish it. I really liked his first three but never could get into that one. I need to finish it though.

Don't laugh but I am now reading the "Twilight" series.:eek: I know. I know. Insert joke here.:p The last Sci-Fi Fantasy book I finished was "Dragon Nimbus" by Irene Radford.

I am not sure about anyone else but almost everything I read now is on my pda. I have gotten so use to the "built-in night light" that that seems all I want to read.:D

10. Dngrsone

I am on Feast of Crows... it is starting off very slow. I hope the whole book isn't like this.

My own embarrassing read-- The Shadow pulps. I've got the whole lot in .txt form, and I convert them to eReader format three at a time. Kind of a palate cleanser between other books. :rolleyes: