What Android keyboard app do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by jigwashere, Nov 28, 2018.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I heartily recommend Clipper Plus with Sync, originally learned of it from Bluefish (!!!). iirc, if you don't want/need to sync across devices, the without Sync version is free. the Sync add-on was reasonably priced (I currently have 3 regularly used Android devices, so the Sync is great)

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I've never had much need for multiple items in my clipboard, until now. I just don't know what to do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been pruning my device of apps I thought were cool, but never use. Don't need it full of apps that just sit there. I'm afraid this one would end up the same way. I'll look into it more this weekend when I might have a bit of time to see how it works. :)

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Back when it had a paid version, I bought Swiftkey during a $.10 Christmas sale: http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/10-days-of-10-0-10-apps-at-android-market.284316/#post-1848203. I had both Swiftkey and Swype installed, but at some point, decided to favor Swiftkey. I had a version with Dragon Nuance Naturally Speaking which handled dictation relatively well, though I rarely used that feature. I only gave up Swype for Gboard when I got my Moto G6.

@Hook, I also use the black keyboard and include the number row, with the keyboard height set to 'Normal.' Getting rid of auto correct has been a huge improvement! I also enabled glide typing with the gesture trail along with gesture delete (delete words by sliding left from the delete key) and gesture cursor control (move cursor by sliding across the space bar).

Some Gboard features/tips:
    • Tap the Google logo to show the Google search string, access to settings, stickers, GIF, Google Translate, dictation, and the overflow menu.
    • The overflow menu offers text editing (cursor, select, paste), themes, one-handed keyboard, and the new floating keyboard feature (https://www.xda-developers.com/gboard-android-floating-keyboard-mode/. I was able to activate it, but not sure when I'd use it.)
    • Gboard is getting a clipboard manager: https://www.xda-developers.com/gboard-clipboard-manager/
    • Press and hold the period for a popup window of other punctuation marks/symbols.
    • You can add keyboard shortcuts in the personal dictionary.
    • Press and hold numbers to enter some common fractions or superscript.
    I liked the clipboard that came with my LG G2 and installed Clipper Plus based on RA's suggestion when I got my Nexus 6. I used it for a while, but found I didn't need it much once I got a password manager and added a few things to the dictionary. I don't have it installed on my Moto G6.

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

One of the nice tweaks that Dirty Unicorns has had for the past 2 or 3 iterations is that, if you are using Gboard, it optionally puts arrow cursor keys at either end of your navigation bar whenever the keyboard is invoked. It really covers 90% of my editing needs on a phone without invoking any additional components.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

If you need left/right arrow keys, try Gboard's built in gesture by swiping left/right over the space bar (assuming you have gesture control turned on in preferences).

6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I'll give it a try, but I suspect I prefer having the keys. :vbwink:

scjjtt, jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I may revisit Gboard once it gets the clipboard manager. Last night in the aftermath of the Swiftkey fiasco I installed Gboard on my G6 and was surprised to see that its multi-language features are sginificantly improved compared to last time I tried it (almost a year ago).

Swiftkey has the keys too. They're in a row at the bottom of the keyboard. As an added bonus, Swiftkey will display a nice blue banner whenever you use its exclusive search function :D

8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

When rarely using gboard, I found the space slide to be very natural, so much so, I sometimes try it on swiftkey without thinking, and oddly enough, have even tried it on my keyboard mod once or twice and get confused when it doesn't work.

9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The topic has been reversed... The OP came looking for an alternative to Gboard. The alternative most mentioned has been discredited, and those that proposed it seem to be leaning towards Gboard. I think this qualifies as going off topic (as in "This is the route to Gramma's. You're going the other way. Thus, you're off route").

scjjtt, Mi An, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Well, in that case…

scjjtt, Mi An, jigwashere and 2 others like this.