What Android keyboard app do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by jigwashere, Nov 28, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok, now there's reason for an alternate keyboard. A clipboard manager. :)

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Not 30 minutes ago Swiftkey was updated. What's New says "You can now search from your Toolbar" (yay!) and "The fastest way to find and share anything from Bing..." (boo!). There's no way to change the search provider. Running a search from the keyboard (from within any app where the kb is deployed) opens a small browser window showing the results, and from there you can take a screenshot or "send" the results elsewhere.

Second boo: The mini-browser shows a big blue "Download Edge" banner.

Third boo: If you "send" the results the original URL is changed to a https://swky... format, so whoever receives and taps on it will pass through some proprietary server.

There is no way to turn the search box off. You can only hide the whole toolbar. I think this feature could be very convenient, except that it forces Bing upon the user. Too late, I already sold my soul to Google :D

Mi An, jigwashere, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

(Hook scratches try Swiftkey off his maybe do list) :vbwink:

Mi An, jigwashere, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  4. headcronie

Ditto that. Obtrusive advertising, forced search, and feeding every link through a tracking server. Hard pass.

scjjtt, Mi An and jigwashere like this.
  5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I was just coming to post about that. I have auto-update turned off and I backup apps before updating in case they're broken, or "upgraded" so I can roll back. Was about to hit update in google play, but dropped down the "what's new" blurb first. Yikes.

I'm a big fan of swiftkey, even have really old versions backed up somewhere in an old titanium folder of a pre-Microsoft version. Not planning on ceasing to use it, but definitely not "upgrading". I don't use the google search app on my phone. No desire to see search baked into my keyboard alongside tracking. I won't even 'sign in' now for their themes and prediction syncing, nor would I back before MS took over.

It's like they were waiting for me to recommend them before ruining it. That way they can burn the keyboard and my credibility in one blow. Well played, Microsoft.

6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yeah, it really is a shame. I could stand the Bing-only thing, but the ad and url changing seem too much.

Screenshot_2018-11-29-17-05-501.jpg

I've dismissed the Edge ad several times already but it keeps appearing again. I think I'll ignore the search feature, keep SwiftKey's permissions off and see how this thing evolves. I'll keep the apk of the previous version on my SD card in case I want to roll back.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Yeah, I guess if they're not forcing a sign in, maybe I'll freeze my current backup and upgrade eventually. I don't open that toolbar very often anyway.

I can see why they did it. Easily cropping screenshots is actually a nice touch. But a soft keyboard to begin with is kind of like the form of malware that on PCs are usually called a keylogger. The more service-y it gets, the more creepy it gets. One benefit of using this is I'm not signed in and no permissions are granted. That's not bulletproof privacy by any means, but I wonder if google's gboard is autologged in with 'telemetry' of who knows what type flowing around for my convenience.

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Wow. 17 posts and we're still on topic. You guys are losing your touch.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Not my fault. I thought this was the television thread.

10. headcronie

That screenshot is twitch inducing! *shudder*

I recently got stung by the autoupgrade of an app. Owncloud updated, and I lost access to my owncloud server due to the upgrade. Yeah, my Owncloud server is running an old version, but it is the last version to support Windows. I will have to spin up a linux system to go to a new version, and I just don't have the desire to do so. I appear to have lost my backup of my Ownclod.apk. Gah!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk