What Android keyboard app do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by jigwashere, Nov 28, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I've been using Gboard for quite a while, but I find it a bit frustrating. Swype was awesome, but I guess it's not available anymore. Any ideas?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hook, Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Swiftkey. Great predictive text. Can swype if you want to. Run by microsoft now, which you can take as a positive or not.

Predictions also still if you use a physical keyboard, software board hides and a thin line of predictions remains.

jigwashere, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Swiftkey here too. Predictions are very good compared to other kb apps I've used (Gboard, Chrooma, LG's own, etc), or maybe I've been using it so long that it's learned what/how I type. I denied Swiftkey permissions to read my SMS, email, contacts, etc. In fact, I haven't granted any app permission, and it works fine that way. I guess it's enough that it can read everything I type . What I like most about Swiftkey is that it works very well with two simultaneous languages. I keep the kb layout on Spanish, and can type mixing Spanish and English and Swiftkey will predict quite well. I don't use predictions when using the hardware keyboard, though. I've set autocorrect, auto capitalize and other options to off when using the physical keyoboard.

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I've been using MessagEase™ since the TX, maybe even the Zire31. The more recent versions include smileys, if you need them
    Available in Playstore

2018_11_29_06.28.50-picsay.png

Mi An, jigwashere, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Just curious what you find frustrating in Gboard. I love it. I can have a number row on the main keyboard, swyping works spectacularly and nice skins. I think maybe I'll relook Swiftkey-- haven't tried that since Gingerbread.

Mi An, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Yes - I'm still using Graffiti & loving it. It is just like Palm's Graffiti 1.0 which I preferred over 2.0 because I felt 1.0 was more accurate for me than 2,0.

I have been using Graffiti since my first Palm in 1998 - it is SO hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

[​IMG]

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, Mi An, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Swype was great at recognizing what I was trying to swipe. There is a lot to like about Gboard, as you point out. I wonder if it would help if I tried different settings. Maybe I just need to turn off autocorrect.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  8. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Oh, yes, do that. I turn that off for any keyboard I use, although I find sometimes they do it anyway. It seems to be an interaction with some apps. I adjust the keyboard size, theme (I use a black keyboard) and include the numbers with the main qwerty board.

9. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I'm still using Samsung's keyboard, but I switched the microphone to Google, and off of Bixby. I use the microphone quite often, as it is far faster than typing. That was a chore that I don't even remember what I did now. I never got good at swyping and made more mistakes than I liked. I hardly use emojis, and prefer the old school smileys using punctuation.

10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I started using Swiftkey without the auto-correct. Some months later I turned it on and found it works very well. I keep also the "quick prediction insert" on, so it can predict whole phrases. Again, must be because I've been using this app for a long time and it's usually accurate at predicting what I want to say. On second thought, maybe I am the predictable one :(
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I love this one. I keep it pinned on Swiftkey's clipboard, and also assigned it a shortcut.

TESR, RickAgresta, jigwashere and 3 others like this.