What a pain updating from Palm Desktop Beta for Vista to New Palm Desktop for Vista

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by doogie, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doogie

doogie Dog-Eat-Dog World Citizen

After using the beta version of Palm Desktop for Vista (and generally having everything working just fine), I thought I would tempt fate and install the "official" release version, since I figured it would be "official", right? Based on my experience, I would suggest to other Vista users that you not bother doing what I did assuming everything is working correctly. I have a Palm TX, but I imagine it applies to all OS5 units.

First of all, I figured that since I had a working version of Palm Desktop, I would simply install the newest version over the old one. Mistake. The PC was no longer recognizing the Palm for hotsync, and I kept getting messages about installing drivers (which were not "findable" by Windows). So if you go this route, I suggest you do a full uninstall of Palm Desktop, then a full reinstall, which resolved that problem. Note that in both the beta and this version, the folders that contain all your PIM data, backups, archives, etc. are located in a different place than earlier versions of Windows/Palm Desktop: mine are at something like C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Palm OS Desktop, ("Documents" in Vista = "My Documents" in earlier versions of Windows) and this folder persists even after an uninstall. (I copied it just to be sure).

The next trouble I ran into was that I got a message on the screen that the Palm Desktop had found some applications and databases in the backup folder that were "incompatible with Palm OS5" and would be moved to a new folder called "PalmOS5 Incompatible Apps". For me, this folder is at:

C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Palm OS Desktop\doogie's username\Palm OS5 Incompatible Apps

I figured this was absolutely ridiculous since my apps were working just fine before the reinstall of Palm Desktop and furthermore, I've been using Palm OS5 for what, 5 years? :p so as a preventative measure, I copied these files BACK to my backup folder. I'm always leery when software does crap like that without ASKING you first. If you're curious, these are the files that were moved for me:

CardEngine_Library.PRC
    ConnectionMgr50DB.PDB
    Fonts4OS5.PRC <-- Not OS 5 compatible?
    Graffiti_ShortCuts.PRC
    NetworkDB.PDB
    VaultDeviceList.PDB
    ZLib.PRC <-- Needed for Plucker

My last problem (and one which I haven't been able to resolve yet), is that my conduits for SunriseXP, which were working perfectly before, are now gone. I tried uninstalling SunriseXP and reinstalling it to no avail, the HotSync Manager (which was 7.01 and is now 7.02) is simply not showing SunriseXP as one of the conduits. I hope I can get this resolved as this is one of my favorite uses of the Palm. Might have to look into a "system restore" if that will help. Anybody have any ideas?

I hope this information is useful for others...

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Sorry to hear about your woes.

You might have to contact the developers of SunriseXP, with the release of the new desktop version they made it explicit some major changes where done on the hotsync part.

From Palm pages:

3. doogie

H, I just got back from a successful "System Restore". Woo-Hoo!

Laurens Fridael, the developer of SunriseXP has pretty much discontinued his work with Sunrise, so unfortunately, we fans of that program are generally on our own, other than the MobileRead forums for it. I will warn my compatriots over there to leave well enough alone...

4. doogie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.