1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Since, my LG TV was recently updated, which means it now shows me a row of cards I don't use when I start up even though I am using Roku, I should play around with WebOS on the TV. I have largely ignored it. When I first got the 4K TV in 2019, I found the WebOS interface too complex and immediately plugged in a Roku box, which I am quite happy with. I'll have to do some exploring when I get a chance.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  3. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I refuse to connect my webos tv to the internet. Tried to find a non-smart tv when I got it and couldn't, not anything modern anyway. So long as it's offline, it will continue to function in its original config for a full lifespan, which I hope will be 10 to 20 years. Once connected, it could be updated to add features I don't like or remove features I do like, deliver extra adverts from LG or whomever else (tivo, once the king of ad skipping has taken to inserting streaming tivo commercials before playing locally recorded content). Whereas I can take a $20 dongle and crush it with a hammer if it misbehaves without losing much sleep, if my tv is polluted by "updates", my cost to cure the defect is much higher.

I tolerate more manufacturer OS control over my phone than I'd like, though I have often delayed or worked around those in the past. I seethe over Microsoft's increasingly power hungry treatment of windows updates, which I can delay, but only so much. I'm very pleased that my tv remains dumb and unconnected. It does what I tell it to do and that's more than enough. My "smart" devices are just smart enough to ignore me and instead do what their real owners tell them to do.

I should probably make this my avatar:
    old.jpg

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

My kids have an LG smart TVwith WebOS. The TV is connected to an Xbox, which is what my kids use to play content. I don't think they've ever ran an app from the TV itself. The TV is connected to the internet, but I don't recall ever seeing an ad. WebOS has some nice features, such as using the remote a cursor/pointer controller. I find the UI nice and unobtrusive. In fact, I've been idly thinking about upgrading my Sony semi-smart TV to an LG model. May prove moot, since my TV is connected to Mrs R's Xbox, and that's what we use to play content :rolleyes:.

Hook, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 1 other person like this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I'm in the same camp as Mi An. Last I bought a new TV, 3 years ago if I recollect correctly, it was difficult to find just a standard TV, and not a smart device. I bought a store brand TV, vs one of the big names. Got an Insignia which is BestBuy's store brand. I had no reason to get a 2k, or 4k TV as I didn't and still don't have access to content of that resolution. I got a 1080p, on which I still usually watch DVD quality content. I also hook up my own devices for streaming, which as of right now, are tiny form factor PCs. If it ever comes down to the point where finding a dumb tv is no longer possible, I'd do the same thing and never hook it up to my network. I can exert far more control over my PCs than I ever could do with a connected TV. And the truly sad part is, manufacturers have a terrible reputation with keeping smart TVs updated, and they're often left for dead in short time. No thanks...

6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Mi An, Excellently put. The last TV I bought was a smart TV, knowing full well all the downsides mentioned. Even worse is how quickly the built in features become obsolete. Some can and are updated; but some are abandoned. My older Sony Smart TV (which was top of the line) has a browser that doesn't really work anymore and doesn't support the latest audio formats. As I understand it, Sony removed one of the stores that allowed you to add apps and which prevented me from adding Opera (which I know has its own problems now too) instead of the browser that comes pre-installed. I think part of it is that Sony moved to using a form of Android as their OS. I can buy a $30 stick every few years that has all the latest features.

As a side note, I don't know if this is how it is on other TVs, but I find it odd that when connecting to my media server, it won't play certain video and/or audio formats, but some of those formats work fine if they're on a thumb drive plugged directly into the TV's USB ports?

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Hook and 3 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, I've seen this, and it's complicated. At home I usually stream from my NAS to my ancient WD TV Live Plus, which can still play everything and anything. I don't use the transcoding capabilities of the NAS itself (which is a model designed just for this, being optimized for Plex) because sometimes I've tried this and the TV won't play the transcoded video. Other times I've streamed from NAS through Xbox to TV and it's also hit and miss. I guess this is because TVs don't have the same decoding capabilities implemented on every app / port.

EdmundDantes, scjjtt, Mi An and 4 others like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I have a Mac Mini hooked up to my biggest TV (Samsung), which I use to play most things via VLC, because it allows for tremendous playback control and plays everything. I too have a NAS with transcoding abilities (Synology DS214play); but I don't use the transcoding either. It's just a bit annoying that the other TVs won't play some formats without an intermediary device like a theater PC, WD TV Live, NVidia Shield, etc.

scjjtt likes this.