Wear OS News

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, May 18, 2021.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

As a fairly early adopter of WearOS, they have quite a row to hoe with getting me interested again. My Asus ZenWatch 2 has long since given up the ghost. I think it just needs its battery replaced, but it was exhibiting quite a few problems after the WearOS 2 update even when the battery was working. I think the OS update was just way too much for the hardware. However, even my Asus ZenWatch 3 is now basically unusable. It could probably use a new battery as well, but it doesn't even reliably stay connected to my phone anymore and most of the time when I try to use it the response lag to screen touches or even button presses is literally minutes, which can't be explained by the battery. Also, Asus used to have a lot of really good apps for their own watches, but they pulled all of them from the Google Play store and even if you can find them elsewhere they don't work anymore. It just seems to be virtually abandoned. I might consider a new Samsung watch if they do go with WearOS, but I would have to heavily research it because lately Samsung stuff seems to mostly be fully compatible only with other Samsung stuff, and I won't be going back to a Samsung phone anytime soon (if ever) purely due to price alone (which will also likely keep me away from a future Samsung watch).

Sparking my curiosity (and since I've now had three Motorola phones in a row), I just Googled "Motorola SmartWatch" and was surprised to learn that they're still being produced. Not by Motorola (Moto/Lenovo) but by a licensed 3rd-party company called EBuyNow. Their latest watch, the Moto 360 (3rd gen, 2019), actually looks really good and rather well featured. They are supposed to be coming out with at least two new watches (Moto G and Moto One) in 2021 that will also be WearOS. I might look into the Moto 360 now that it's typically down to $200.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  3. scjjtt

IP - I have lucked out. My first Asus Watch 2 I gave to my son-in-law - but it stopped working the day I watched my daughter sneak up behind him & push him in their pool. :(

The second one I bought used is working great - even with the OS update. I have noticed it gets sluggish if on for a period of time - so I restart it the days I using it & it works like a charm & lasts all day long.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Interesting stuff. My Active 2 won't see an upgrade to WearOS, but that's okay. My watch is stable, it holds a charge, and hasn't had any connectivity issues. It's not like a phone where the next OS possibly has new eye candy to look at. It is a watch... it tells the time. :)

5. scjjtt

HC - I agree - I just wish my Galaxy started with Wear OS - I just like it better.

I want to see time, temp, steps & receive some notifications of my choosing & be able to respond quickly to some emails & several texts without using my phone & a battery that can last a day.

All my watches do these things!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

jigwashere, Hook and headcronie like this.
  6. scjjtt

jigwashere likes this.
  7. internetpilot

Rather than spring $200 on a Moto 360, I decided to to risk $30 on a replacement battery for my Asus ZenWatch 3 instead. I think I actually got the last one available that ships from the USA -- all others take ~2 weeks to ship from China/Hong Kong. We'll see how that works out. It looks fairly easy to replace. I'm remembering now that I sent my ZW3 back to Asus under warranty when I couldn't get it to charge properly/reliably after owning it for just a few months. According to the receipt, they replaced the battery and mainboard in it. Now I'm replacing the battery again. Oh, well. If I can get it working properly, I'll be happy with it for a while. I might eventually be tempted by the new Moto smartwatches scheduled for release this year.

lelisa13p, headcronie, Hook and 3 others like this.
  8. scjjtt

Again, why is it everything that I like in technology seems to fall by the wayside? What does that say about me? I think Apple should pay me just to NOT start using their products.

The Verge: Google’s new Samsung smartwatch partnership looks a lot like giving up.
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/23/...le-partnership-wear-os-tizen-merge-smartwatch

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

9. scjjtt

jigwashere and headcronie like this.
  10. internetpilot

I'm hoping my replacement battery keeps me going with my ZenWatch 3 at least until Moto releases their planned 2021 watches.

jigwashere, scjjtt and headcronie like this.