Waving from the ER

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cathearder, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noobette

noobette AKA skeletal_surfer

When we lived in New Mexico, we had a composting toilet outhouse. To mess with people unfamiliar with outdoor plumbing, we got a sticker from the vet that said "STRAIN ALL URINE" and stuck it to the wall next to a bamboo tea strainer.

[​IMG]

Best wishes to your nephew, Hook. I'm so glad that it was caught early.

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Thanks all. Heard from my sister earlier. My nephew is doing fine, though he will be on heavy pain meds for awhile (well, I did say he was doind fine ;) ). He has about a foot long surgical incision held together by staples (I think the term is a misnomer IIRC... they are really more like small clamps).

His doctor considers this close to a miracle. As Q-Eye suggested, they felt that if much more time had gone by at all, he in all likelihood would be looking at... well, let's just say it wouldn't have been good.

However all seems to be well, and though recovery will be long, his prognosis for recovery is good. He really wants to be with his squadron in Iraq, but he is reality testing enough to know that isn't going to happen. They will be back in Japan around November or so.

Thanks to everyone!

3. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

It's good to hear that things are looking up. I hope all goes well.

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

that is great news Hook. Thanks for keeping us posted :newpalm:

5. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear he's doing (relatively) well! It does sound as though he'd been very fortunate to have discovered the cancer early enough to deal with it.

All my best wishes continue! Keep us posted... :cool:

6. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

Hi everyone :)
    I've been away from the forums for about 6 weeks and in truth I have been away from most everything in that time.
    I have been able to browse through BH at times and it was comforting and inspiring to see all of you being so helpfull and considerate, add to that the fun you all have here and I was ready to continue with my day.
    Many of you were thinking of my family and I during this time and sending your best wishes and prayers. I also know that those of you who were unaware of what was happening would have if you had known. My Heartfelt thanks to you all :)

I wanted to share with you, my friends, my thoughts and feelings on what my family and I have just been through but upon reading the following I find I have not expressed properly that which I feel in my Heart, but then, I don't imagine I ever could. So, I will leave it as is and be thankfull that writing this post has in some way helped to soothe the pain.

Febuarury 5th I received an email that shook my world and saddened my Heart beyond anything I had ever felt before.
    My darling sister Bev (Beverly Dawn) had been diagnosed with the very rare and incurable Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (Caution: The information in the article I linked may cause distress)

I returned to Australia as soon as I could get a flight to be with the family and help to care for Bev
    My other darling sister Carolynne Joy (such lovely names the girls were given) had arrived a few days earlier from another part of Australia and so we two moved into Bev's home, with Bev's husband Merv, to be on hand night and day.

Carolynne was our chief cook (Carolynne has taught cooking) and helped Bev with personal tasks like washing etc.
    More than that, Carolynne was the shining example of Love and commitment. Although her Heart was breaking Carolynne never faltered in her dedication to our goal to provide a Loving, safe and comfortable environment. There was little else we could do.
    I took on the role of house cleaner, I have never washed so many dishes, swept and mopped so much floor and vacuum cleaned so much carpet in my life. This was important as Bev's home is always clean and tidy, and so, needed to be kept that way.
    I also helped with the lifting and shifting of Bev when necessary but my favorite was making Bev breakfast every morning.
    Bev's husband Merv had the hardest task, to be her loving husband while showing that he would be ok when Bev was gone, this was most important as Bev would certainly worry about how he would manage.

Bev's children were so Loving and strong during this time, ensuring there were tender family moments. I can't begin to express the pain they felt seeing their mother's health deteriorate so quickly.
    Some of the grandchildren are old enough to understand what was happening and although they were saddened and in some way frightened by it all, they always wanted to be with their Nan
    The younger ones could not completely understand what was happening to Nan and they just continued to give their Love and hugs to Nan as always
    My brother Grahame and his wife were in such a dilemma as he was in the process of changing job and city so they were constantly running around trying to organize to be here and there. Exhausting for them but they kept going.
    Neighbours brought food and did some gardening, wanting to help in any way possible.
    Many people came to visit, to chat and sit with their friend Bev.

Although a very difficult and sad time there were so many joyous times as well.
    Family dinners with Bev looking out from the head of the table to see her husband, children, grandchildren, brothers and sister all sitting together, her face lit with a smile.
    Carloynne lying on the bed beside Bev telling her whatever it is that sisters tell each other, their Love for each other palpable in the moment
    For me there were the personal and tender moments like when Bev managed to say, "you came here" and "you made me breakfast" then kissed me or when Bev smiled at my silly dancing with her grandchildren.

It was Bev I turned to when I broke my heel three years ago, Bev and Merv took me in and let me recuperate in their home. I have such fond memories of sitting at the kitchen bench, chopping vegetables for dinner, Bev and I chatting about food, movies, life and whatever, a simple and Joyous time.
    During the time Carolynne and I were caring for Bev we also did this, same bench, same chatting, same Joyous feeling.

With the assistance of the wonderfull Palliative Care people who supplied us wth a hospital bed, wheelchair etc, Bev was able to remain at home as long as possible but eventually Bev needed to be transferred to a Hospice.
    One week later my darling sister Bev passed on

I will miss my darling sister every moment of every day but I will cherish the time we have spent together and the emails that we exchanged when we were apart.
    I have sobbed inconsolably but I hold in my Heart the glorious memories of a special person it is my privilege to know and Love :)

All the best, warren

7. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Warren, all I can tell you is that I just started crying at work. A very touching story. Your sensibility, kindness and spirit are a light to this forum, as is your humor and playfulness at other times. Thank you for sharing.

I don't have words that adequately describe how I feel, but I am happy you have been able to rejoin us. The kindness of your family amongst themselves is wonderful to hear about and I know Bev continues to be a part of you all.

Bless you, sir. :)

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

woz, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know there is nothing I can say to truly lessen your pain, but know we will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Rick

9. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

woz, I am sorry to learn about your loss. No word is encouraging enough. Keep her memory high and she will live forever at your side. Always. Let her be added to your inner voice, and whenever you think about something, whenever you evaluate any kind of problem, you will listen to her, taking care of you all the way from the Silent Lucidity.

hal

10. noobette

noobette AKA skeletal_surfer

Woz, I am so sorry for your terrible loss. I'm glad, however, that your family was able to be together to support Bev and one another.

I had heard that your sister was seriously ill, but wow.... what an awful thing to be diagnosed with. I'm so sorry. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.