water damaged lcd screen

Discussion in 'PDAs and Handhelds' started by puravidamae, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puravidamae

puravidamae Newbie

Hello,
    My LCD screen is water damaged. It has those "Stain" marks, and I'm worried that I'll have them forever.

Any good ideas on how to get rid of this problem? Blow dryers? Ovens? Anti-humidity mini-bags? Taking the whole thing apart?

Please fill me in.

Thanks!

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, puravidamae. :)

How did this happen? Is there water in your device? What is the device? :confused:

3. puravidamae

puravidamae Newbie

hi, my device is a a casio digital camera (exilim) - i posted this question here due to a recommendation to do so. Hope you can help me out!

4. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand puravidamae.

You might have better luck posting (and/or searching) in Brighthand's sister forum, digitalcamerareview.com as we are PDA and smartphone oriented here.

5. lelisa13p

Like Dick Tracy said :eek: , we have a sister forum for digital cameras located here. Maybe someone in their forums area might have experience with your problem. :)

6. puravidamae

puravidamae Newbie

hey guys, the other forum doesn't seem as booming - and this seems to be a problem that affects both PDAs and Digital Cameras the same - no one here has ever dealt with a water damaged PDA screen? If so, I'm sure your advice would help me out, but I will try the other forum as well...

7. lelisa13p

When we get water damage, it's the insides of the device that are most critical, along with the battery. Cameras have other concerns specific to them. We're not trying to send you away, it's just that we're not sure how to help you & other camera owners might. :)

8. tanbam

tanbam Mobile Deity

A couple of the ideas that you have are good, excluding the oven or the taking apart. It would be very hard to regulate the temperature to a safe-yet-effective level in an oven; you wouldn't want a melted camera.

Taking it apart will probably not help you, either, since you wouldn't be able to take apart the LCD elements.

The water is sandwiched in between the LCD layers, so it wants to be in there really bad. Sealing it in a bag with dessicant bags might help, but the water should eventually work it's way out over time.

It happened to me one time with an old PPC, and I just lived with the slowly shrinking water spot for a month or two until it finally went away.

9. jeepers creepers

jeepers creepers Half Man/ Half Machine

Hello, Im new of course I'm sure u can tell.
    My Mom bought this IBM WorkPad with black and white, or green screen from the Good Will, (sort of like salvation army) It turns on but it doesn't show anything. At one time i saw the black what looked like pixles in the corner of the screen then, another time the whole screen was black as if the contrast was up high and then it just went back to a glowing black light. One other time I was in the closet and I noticed the green blacklight was on. I can hear that it is on aswell. I see these stains where you'd use the graffiti to write, and theres also a stain spot closer to the right side. I think its water damaged.Is there something that I can do to fix it? Should I take it apart and clean it? Plz help and thanx.

10. Shawn Pickett

Shawn Pickett Mobile Deity

The only other thing you might try is to remove the batteries and flush the lcd with denatured alcohol. The alcohol should, IN THEORY, flush out the water, and it will evaporate faster than the water would, and not leave a residue. The problem is, the alcohol might strip any anti-glare coatings off of the lcd screen.

11. Shawn Pickett

I don't know that this is the appropriate forum for this question, you might try the Tech Zone http://www.thetechzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=45

That being said, is there an external video output on the back? You might try hooking that up to a monitor and seeing what happens. Also, some laptops have a function key that will enable the icons on the keyboard. Most older laptops have one that will disable the lcd. I got a decent Thinkpad for $25 because it was dropped, had a broken hinge, and the guy couldn't figure out how to hit the function key to turn the lcd back on. Do a search for that Model number on google, you'll probably find some good tips there.

12. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

I've tried your approach once, Shawn, with mixed results. In the end, I think it would have been better to wait a few weeks for the screen to dry itself out, or just replaced it entirely.

I used distilled anhydrous isopropyl alcohol - basically the "pure" electronics-grade stuff, not perfumed watery stuff from the pharmacist. I initially applied it to the edges (where the water entered the screen), but found it "trapped" the liquid inside; so I then removed the glasstop and as many layers as I could without removing adhesives or causing damage.

All the water was indeed removed, and the alcohol evaporated within minutes. After reassembling everything it was found that there were patches that looked "hazy" ... I don't know if they were caused by electrical damage (the screen was apparently powered at the time it fell into water), caused by "pockets" of pressure that warped the material, caused by the chemical action of the alcohol (which you suggest), or caused by improper disassembly/reassembly (this isn't very likely, but I can't rule it out).

In any event, the screen worked fine, but did suffer permanent minor damage which degraded image quality in some regions.

13. Shawn Pickett

Yes, most lcds have some sort of anti glare filter, I've always suspected (and I mentioned this in my initial post) that alcohol would damage the coating, but was never certain, what you describe there sounds like that's what happened Konrad. I would say back to the desicant packs and a baggy to dry up the screen.

14. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Agreed, Shawn. I think it's complicated further by the fact that liquid accidents will never involve chemically pure water. The attempted repair I mentioned above involved soapy bathwater. I've replaced two others; one involving Coca-Cola and the other coffee - after seeing how messy they were, I didn't even bother trying to clean them out.

15. jeepers creepers

jeepers creepers Half Man/ Half Machine

What can I do about not getting a picture? on the pda...all I see is green.

It does have a sort of exturnal output...I found this Serial Sync Cable from the garage, but my laptop has a different *plug* per say than the sync cable. Mabye there's a converter? the pic on the box looks simular to the one I own but mine in more box lookin. So U think I can find a converter?

I just wanted to say thanx didn't want you all to think I was ungreatfull.

Thanx

16. lelisa13p

Welcome to Brighthand, jeepers creepers. :)

I've merged your last three posts into one, since they were only one minute apart. In the future, if you remember something that you want to add soon after you've hit the Submit button, you can click on the Edit button at the bottom of your post and then add the info and Save it to the post. :)

17. Shawn Pickett

I think at this point we need a model number on that workpad (look at the bottom of it). How many pins does the connector have in it?