Watch Out for Puffy Batteries (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by internetpilot, Mar 20, 2019.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Same boat, unfortunately. While your apps may get updates, the underlying OS isn't. It's the same as jumping on the net with Windows XP, or Windows Vista, even though you may have the latest web browser installed. You're still vulnerable to OS exploits that will never be patched, and at an ever increasing rate.

Remember, it is your personal identity that you're running around with on there. Accounts directly tied to you, that you've invested time and money in. If those accounts get compromised due to an unpatched vulnerability, you'll have a long, uphill battle ahead of you.

The choice is yours though.

It is my belief that these things should scream "I'm no longer supported, don't use me!" when they pull support. So many people run around with devices that are EOL, and they have no idea. Microsoft is the only one that does that with any regularity. That's a really, really, really sad statement.

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

That's the main thing I'm worried about with my Samsung Galaxy Camera 2. As it says in my signature, it's still pathetically running Kitkat. What's most pathetic about that is that it's a camera (and actually a really good one), but considering Samsung didn't support it with patches after the Kitkat update from Jellybean, you don't dare use it online -- at least not fully connected to your Google account. So what I have is a really smart camera running Android that can't safely use most of the smart features. But it's a really good camera and an even better video camera. I used it with a shotgun style mic along with my then primary video camera (a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 superzoom camera) to get two different perspectives on recording my kids' band concerts. Worked great! Very small, very portable, excellent quality. I actually used the sound from it as my primary sound recording because it sounded much better than the Panasonic FZ200. I've since moved on to a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 and started using the Panasonix FZ200 as my secondary camera. Most recently I just use the Panasonic FZ1000 recording in 4K video and then I pan/zoom in post processing since I have plenty resolution with the final product being only 1080p.

One of these days I really need to look into vulnerabilities of Kitkat to see how many of them would apply to how I use an Android camera. Perhaps if I really stripped it down to having only offline photo apps and maybe syncing to my Google Photos account (only if the wifi is on and connected of course), then it would be relatively safe enough. It's just such a shame that Samsung didn't support that camera better. I don't think their normal policy of 2 OS updates is enough for a camera. And this is just their point-n-shoot camera. They also released a couple different interchangeable lens cameras with Android OS in them. I would hate to think about having bought a $2000 camera only to have Samsung say, "Sorry, it is now outside of our OS support window." Jerks.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Both my HTC EVO4G and even older Palm Treo 755p long before their batteries puffed up, the casing finish on both of these phones became like sticky/melting/disintegrating. It's really weird. They've both just been sitting in my home office on a shelf, so it's not like they've been stored in temperature extremes or anything. Both of these phones had a textured, grip type of finish on the casing, so that's probably what's breaking down now. Loved that HTC EVO4G phone. I haven't had a phone that was so well supported by 3rd party dev community ever since. Even my Nexus 6 wasn't as well supported as the EVO.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  4. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

The tablet is mainly just a YouTube viewing portal and used for VLC, beyond that there's nothing with PII on it thankfully, but man I don't have money for a new tablet right now...

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Internetpilot, that case situation might be because the batteries were off-gassing as they bloated.