Watch Out for Puffy Batteries (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by internetpilot, Mar 20, 2019.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Anyone else notice that we long-time Brighthand folks tend to hang on to our stuff a very long time? Just kinda of a public service announcement for all my fellow device collectors that these non-user-serviceable batteries don't last forever and it can actually be quite dangerous.

So, my beloved Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (seriously, would it have killed them to use a shorter name?) started having problems with it's hardware home button. It was jiggly and loose, and although it still functioned, something was obviously wrong/broken. Googling the problem, I found the part that was likely the culprit -- it was just a piece surrounding the button that eventually breaks from use and causes the button to be jiggly and tilt weird. I found the whole thing annoying because I don't really use it that much anymore, but I still use it (and Android) enough that I'm not really ready to give it up yet (but I'm also not going to invest any more $ in an Android tablet). It was also a bitter pill to swallow because both my wife's and son's Samsung Tab S tablets had their wifi board die in them within a few months, rendering these rather pricey tablets relatively useless. So, I was already annoyed at Samsung from this.

Again, I don't use this tablet that much anymore, but I do keep it charged and ready to go, and I always bring it with me on airplane trips because a 15" Chromebook isn't as easy to use on a plane. So, I'm packing it in my carry-on bag when I noticed the screen looked "bent". I was thinking it must be my glasses or just an optical illusion in the reflection of the screen, etc., but then for some reason I pushed on the casing around the hardware home button, there was a "click" sound, and the home button now worked perfectly find. Ah, so it was just that the casing popped open, probably from rough handling in my bag the last time I took this tablet on an airplane trip (which was the last time I used it). But then on closer inspection, the screen was definitely bent/bulging in the middle and it dawned on me from experiencing this with other devices that it was likely a swollen battery.

Sure enough, after breaking out my phone toolkit and popping open the casing, the rather large battery was rather puffy! It wasn't as bad as I've seen other batteries, but that's likely because the other batteries (cameras, phones, MP3 players, etc.) have all had batteries with hard plastic casings, so when they got puffy they cracked the casing (and in some cases the device they were in at the time). This battery has the usual soft plastic wrapper. Anyway, I left the tablet disassembled, put the bloated puffy battery in a safe place, went on my trip without my tablet, and ordered a replacement battery from Amazon for $19. When I got back home, the install was ezpz, and it appears that my Android tablet with the really long name will get at least a little more use in the future.

raspabalsa, lelisa13p, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Palm 755b
    DroidX
    Galaxy S3
    Galaxy S5

Fortunately, all have have removable batteries (by design). I must say, some of them spin real nice. <SER>*

Actually, I'm on my 4th and 5th batteries for the S5. The first 2 were original capacity, 3, 4 and 5 are extended capacity -- really makes a big difference. I've not (yet) seen the device deformed first-hand, but when I put the battery cover on completely, on the DroidX, the screen shows plainly that it's being pushed by the battery and isn't happy...

*Serious Eye Rolling :vbgrin:

raspabalsa, lelisa13p, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

You wanna talk old? I still have (for some reason) 2 RAZR phones. All of those (removable) batteries swelled after about a year too. They were awful. It was a nice design for a flip phone, but the batteries and software were atrocious.

scjjtt, raspabalsa and Mi An like this.
  4. RickAgresta

I still have (and use, for the camera) a hand-me-down Samsung Flipshot (from my older son, when he got his HTC Droid Eris). Knock on wood, battery is still good.
    A_2019-03-21 19.04.54-picsay.png 2019-03-21 19.04.54-picsay.png
    For some reason, someone on Amazon thinks that a good price for it is $299.99 :vbeek:

scjjtt likes this.
  5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

My Palm Tungsten|C (which I still have and turn on from time to time) had it's battery swell up on me, but I was able to replace it before it damaged the device. I just can't bear to get rid of my Palm T|C, even though I haven't even used it as a backup device since way back during the days of my Palm Treo 755p. I used it for a while as a universal remote control, but that's about it.

I had a Creative Labs Zen Portable Media Center, which had a hardshell user replaceable battery, but when all the kids got iPod Video devices one year, after sitting for just like 6 months unused the battery expanded to like double the size and literally ripped the device in half, breaking all the screws and cracking the plastic casing. It was literally unusable and not repairable. I've had the same thing happen to 3 or 4 little iPod Nano knock-off MP3 players. One time when one of them was in my pocket in use. The music stopped playing, and when pulled it out of my pocket it was ridiculously bulging.

scjjtt and raspabalsa like this.
  6. RickAgresta

Maybe it was happy with your playlist…:vbrolleyes:

scjjtt and internetpilot like this.
  7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

My EVO Shift battery is all puffy. No reason to buy a new battery for it, as it runs Gingerbread which is effectively dead. My first generation Nexus 7 tablet may be suffering from puffy battery. It went into a crash loop that I've been unable to recover from. I may pop it open just out of curiosity. If you root it you can keep it at Jellybean which is passable. If it upgrades to IceCream Sandwich, it's a poorly functioning brick. My 1st gen Kindle Fire hasn't swollen that I know of. I have a speaker system tied to it and use it for white noise by my bed.

I think my Treo Pro battery is swollen now that I think about it. I've not looked at my Treo 755p battery in years... No idea where my Tungsten E ended up...

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  8. RickAgresta

hc, beg to differ regarding Gingerbread, depending on what you want to do with it. Just my 2¢ <g>

scjjtt, jigwashere and headcronie like this.
  9. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

For offline use, works great. Wouldn't use it online.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

10. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

How about 6.0? My Samsung tablet runs on it and is still recieving application updates so far.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.