Warning against buying Palm Treo Hard Case for the 755p

Discussion in 'Palm' started by internetpilot, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Man, am I ever PO'ed! Brand new Palm Treo 755p and it now has eight gouges in the casing finish! Did I drop it? No. Did I not buy a case for it? Yes, I did buy one. Did I buy some cheapo, 3rd-party case? No. I bought the genuine OEM Palm Hard Case, specifically recommended as an accessory for the Palm Treo 755p, and that case is what scratched up my brand new 755p! GRRRRRRR!

This case has eight of these little plastic fins or tabs inside the case that stick up about 1/4" and are clearly designed to hold the Treo in place inside the case. I don't know if it's just that the 755p has a different case finish or it's milimeters bigger or what, but each of these 8 fins gouges into the 755p finish, leaving eight easily visible marks on the casing.

[​IMG]

I'm returning the case to Palm for refund, but they didn't seem too entirely concerned when I told them why I wanted a refund. I told them they really need to stop listing this case as a 755p compatible accessory, or they going to end up getting people demanding a new Treo instead of just returning the case like I did. Even I'm tempted to go ape on them and demand they replace my 2-day-old Treo since their case scratched it up.

Anyway, buyer beware! I would steer clear of that case at least for the 755p -- it may work fine with other Treos, but I wouldn't know since this is the first Treo I've owned.

2. dump71

dump71 Looking for the door...

Oh, I am so sorry Chris! Here you are, you make the switch and this happens. If it were me, I'd try to get mine exchanged...

3. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

Oh no!! :eek: I'm so sorry this happened, I would be so pissed! Thank you for sharing this with us, as you know I was considering picking this case up as well. Oh man! This sucks MAJORILY!!

4. internetpilot

Unfortunately, thinking about it realistically, Palm is not going to replace my Sprint Treo and Sprint isn't going to replace my Treo because Palm's recommended case scratched it.

I'll just deal with it, but it does admittedly tick me off. I take VERY good care of my PDAs (and phones) -- my T|C looks brand new without a mark on it. Oh, well.

The really annoying part is that there doesn't seem to be a very good case option for the Treos. I have yet to see a case where I would want to talk on the Treo with it in the case, so I guess I'm really looking for a holster/pouch type case, but I have yet to see one of those that isn't so flimsy that it probably should've been included in the box as a freebie.

Man, do I wish Vaja made a T|C like case for the Treo!

5. dump71

I just ran across a rubberized case with cut-outs and what-not with a holster setup, very smart looking protection and would cover its wounds. I'll try to find it...

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm so sorry! Thanks for posting. I considered this case, and even thought about it today.

My 755p is naked. No case and no screen protector. I often keep it in a pocket w/o keys or coins. I also use a Nite Eyes pouch at times. No problems so far. I'm taking a bit of a risk, but am usually careful.

7. internetpilot

I KNOW! Fellow Vaja owner that you are, I know you know what I mean when I say that the Vaja case for the 755p is just not the same. I think they must've had a changeover in designer staff at Vaja, because they're definitely going in the wrong direction. Since when do you create a case for touch-screen based smartphone that doesn't protect the screen?

Right now my wounded 755p is "swimming" in an old T|C holster style case that's about twice as big as the 755p. So now I'm desperately Googling for case solutions. After closer inspection (read several reviews), I don't think I'd like the Sena MagneticFlipper or whatever it's called. I did see a flip case by EBCases that looks pretty good (the flip cover can be completely removed), but I can't find any reviews on it.

There's nothing worse than a Palm without a case solution that you feel good about. I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm going to end up with a generic holster case from Target....ugh.

8. dump71

9. internetpilot

I think I saw that case, too, and I've been trying to find it again for a second look now that the hard case turned out so badly. It was like a leather-ish skin case that offered no screen protection, but then you would slide that into a holster which did provide screen protection. It was a pretty good idea and looked pretty good, too. Was it Boxwave? I can't remember where I came across the case -- I think it was from a forum post, but I can't even remember if it was Brighthand or not.

10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I can fully sympathize. I bought a generic cell phone pouch at my local hardware store. It came with a pen and keyring. $8 bucks. Fit my 755 nicely. Looked great.

Problem...

The black dye in the fabric wasn't color fast. Stained the backside of my 755 something horrible. *sigh*

I share my condolences with you.