[Wanted] IMAP email client with sync scheduling for GMAIL

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by headcronie, Oct 12, 2015.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Work decided to abandon Exchange, and went with Google Apps. Google merged the regular email client with Gmail app, and now there is no built in way to schedule Gmail email sync. You either have it auto push, all freaking day, every day, or you do it manually. Sorry, I read work email while at work, but other than that, I want no such notification that someone is emailing me, until I'm next in the office. I am fiercely protective of my personal time, and refuse to be bothered by work outside of normal hours. If it is an emergency, they can call me.

I am in search of a good email client app that works with Lollipop and soon Marshmallow for IMAP connections. If there is a cost to it, please make sure that it is tried and true. I'm not opposed to paying, but I don't want to pay for something untried. :)

Additionally, I loathe mobile clients that can only respond in plain text. If an email comes in that is HTML rich, I need to be able to respond or forward that content intact, not stripped down to plain text. I deal with purchasing and need to respond and forward quotes and invoices for documentation.

I also don't want a 3rd party to retrieve and send emails for me. Direct to my client, direct from my client to my IMAP provider.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    scjjtt likes this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I was going to make a smart-a$$ comment about changing it manually as needed, but while thinking about the phrasing, it occurred to me that Tasker might be able to do that for you. I have very little experience with Tasker, Mi An has a good deal more -- maybe he can help. I seem to recall something called Automate, as well -- again, no experience as you want to apply it.

3. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I agree. I think what you are describing is going to be something for Tasker (even though I also don't have much experience with it). Did the stock email app actually do that? (I never used it).

I use Aquamail and highly recommend it, but although it is very feature rich, I don't see an easy what of having it stop IMAP push during certain hours. You can also try K-9 Mail, the open-source app that Aquamail is based on.

scjjtt, headcronie and jigwashere like this.
  4. headcronie

[​IMG]

Samsung kept this, but their sync scheduler is broken. My Nexus devices do not have access to the stock email client now that Gamil took over.

Very handy. I walk out of work, and leave work behind.

Sent from my Samsung Note IV

scjjtt likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

It looks like the stock email app on my LG G2 does exactly what you want. I can set sync schedule for peak and non peak. Non peak can be manual.

I haven't found it in the Play store, yet. I'm looking.

scjjtt, headcronie and RickAgresta like this.
  6. RickAgresta

so, hc, your problem continues, or is the above a solution? my _everything_ is dragging, so it may just be me (as usual).

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  7. RickAgresta

I just restored it (Aquamail) and set up a yahoo account to test; there is, once you're in the account, under Settings, Nights and weekends, which not only allows you to skip notifications, it also lets you skip checking mail during the times specified.

scjjtt, Hook and headcronie like this.
  8. headcronie

I honestly don't really care for the Gmail app. Tasker could possibly do what I want, but I think I'm aiming for an all-in-one solution. I'll look into the suggested apps and see what those do for me. :)

scjjtt likes this.
  9. headcronie

Rick, that is the desired configuration, but as I had mentioned above, it is broken. :( Thus my quest to find a working alternative. :)

scjjtt likes this.
  10. headcronie

Got Aqua Mail installed, but have not found the area where I can set the schedule yet... Heeeelp? :)
    Selected the top option for Gmail / Google Apps when I added the account. Maybe I have to use the middle option and add it as IMAP?

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.