Waaaaaay OT, even for me...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, May 1, 2019.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

So, in an on-going work frustration, I can't seem to a) get an answer, OR b) convince others that the correct units for the following *is*not*hours*

if I record a time, say from a timer which reports hours, minutes and seconds, what are the correct units? if it is a whole hour (04:00:00) that's easy -- units are hours. for all other cases, though, what should it be: 04:20:00 is what? yes, 4 hours and 20 minutes, but if I'm writing up in a lab note book, what units should go with 04:20:00?

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

You're not alone in your frustration... I've pondered (and argued) about this several times. On my tests I usually label columns thus:

upload_2019-5-1_17-30-31.png

Units for the first two columns are hours:minutes:seconds. First column is time of the day, second column is elapsed test time, so the worker running the test can simply transcribe from his watch and stopwatch to the control sheet. I usually then convert to seconds and hours (columns 3 and 4), and when I write the report I just use the decimal hours. I just use one decimal for the hours so the reader won't think I'm talking about hours and minutes. Yes, I've seen people say that 3.40 hours means 3 hours 40 minutes!

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

You are displaying 3 units: hours, minutes and seconds. You could include a one-time legend hh:mm:ss, but after that, you shouldn't needed to show the units since the format is clear.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm not sure this helps, but it's kind of interesting.
    https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/2281.pdf

I found this: English notation for hour, minutes and seconds and How to write lengths of time in a short way with numbers.

raspabalsa, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Thanks jig!

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.