W8.1 how to use WiFi

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by Jerry_NJ, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

I have logged on to my home WiFi, indicated as ON in Settings - did some web access and got hit with $2 and change in phone charges. What must I do to make the browser use the WiFi?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Jerry, I don't know the specific setup pages for WinPhone, but generally speaking, there should be a way, in settings, to tell the phone to use wifi if available, vs. using the carrier provided data connection. a brute force method would be to disable your carrier provided data (just a setting, not involving the carrier doing anything at all; an easy thing to do for me, on Android). You could get in touch with AT&T support -- Gophone, iirc? Hook has praised their customer service in the past.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Pretty much what Rick said. I really don't know anything about settings in Win Phone. In Android, you can even specifically turn off data and just leave everything else on. You might seek out a forum that has more Win Phone users than we do. But see if Gophone support can help you.

EDIT: Didn't see Jig's post when I started mine. There you go!

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Funny, I thought turning on WiFi will override the data feature. (At least for Android)

scjjtt likes this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Mostly, yes, NetB, unless it's something that requires the data connection - not wifi - to work. on Verizon, MMS messages fall into that category…not sure what else does, if anything.

7. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

When in start (tiles) a down swipe revels connection options, Blue tooth, my connected WiFi, camera and brightness. Touching WiFi appears to direct the browser and email to the internet.. at least the pages on the browser appear to load much faster than 4G wireless. But I still saw some usage of wireless minutes (money). Still I think this is the way to connect/use the WiFi when accessing the Web/ISP. I'll watch next time I go for email.

8. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Looking in the manual:
    Using a Wi-Fi connection is generally faster and less expensive than using a mobile data connection.
    If both Wi-Fi and mobile data connections are available, your phone uses the Wi-Fi connection.
    On the start screen, swipe down from the top of the screen, and tap .
    1. Switch Wi-Fi networking to On .
    2. Select the connection you want to use.

Sooooo... the unknown source of telephone access must be due to something other than my browsing and getting email. The down swipe is needed only if the WiFe is set off.

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Careful. You don't want to set off the wife, believe me! ;)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  10. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Another learning, the Nokia gets email automatically, assume only when on WiFi. My first reaction was "on nice - not" the email has been downloaded from my ISP and now it is lost to my computer where I store email. Not So, seems the Nokia simply "reads" the email and makes a copy in its local memory. On memory I ordered a 16 Gbyte microSDC that adds to the 8 Gbyte provided memory - a big piece of which is used by the Nokia OS and supporting applications.. and I haven't downloaded any apps.

Don't under stand the "wife" advice, this may be due to my advanced age (old guy).

scjjtt likes this.