Vx with serial adaptor on Macbook Pro and iSync

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by krisplus5, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krisplus5

krisplus5 Newbie

I've got a Palm Vx that I've used for years with a Serial-USB adaptor on a Mac Titanium G4. Just got a new Macbook Pro, have followed instructions on setting up Palm Desktop, iSync, and Hotsync manager, with no success.

Installed new Palm Desktop (4.2.1), setup iSync 2.0, and made settings in Hotsync Manager.

Palm device shows in iSync. Pressing hotsync button on cradle results in communication failure message. iSync never opens. Any advice?

Thanks,
    krisplus5

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Check for option to communicate via Local Serial within the Hotsync Manager.

Even though the connection is USB, the adapter is permitting the USB port to emulate a Serial comm port.

3. krisplus5

krisplus5 Newbie

In Hotsync Manager, there are 4 options, 2 of which are checked:

bluetooth-modem (not checked)
    bluetooth-pds-sync-port (not checked)
    PalmConnect (checked)
    USB (checked)

I have no option for Local Serial... What to do?

Cheers,
    krisplus5

4. BAB2000

Palm Connect should be your serial connection.

Can you inspect your Hotsync conduits and confirm they are configurered for iSync?

There are several suggestions from Palm via this link.

Includes link to Apple's iSync support as well as Mac conduit configuration.

Wish I could provide more assistance, but not that familiar with Macspeak:eek:

5. krisplus5

krisplus5 Newbie

Heh, thanks for the hints. I had followed those instructions on the palm site, as well as instructions on the Apple site.

That Vx has stood by me for many years. It could also be an issue with my Vx just finally deciding to give up the ghost, I guess (the battery's not holding power the way it used to), and it's had some weird sluggish response lately.

In any case, I had these problems resolved today, as my hubby surprised me with an early birthday present of a LifeDrive. Lucky me!

Thanks,
    Krisplus5

6. BAB2000

Yes, very lucky indeed.

The battery of the Vx maybe rejuvinated via a SOFT RESET while in cradle charging via AC adapter. Then allowed to complete charge cycle of 3 hours.

Over time the logic's internal battery indicator and the actual charge level will get out of sync, the incradle soft reset helps realign.

JNo expense to try;)

Enjoy the LifeDrive, and review the upgrade procedures. Not all apps from the Vx may migrate to the newer platforms.

7. kcs9261

kcs9261 Newbie

I'm experiencing the same exact trouble you had--did you ever get a satisfying answer? KCS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.