Vulkano Flow First to Allow Direct Recording of TV Programs to Smartphones Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I have to learn more about how this works; but I'm also cautious. Monsoon sold a Slingbox like device that had lots of issues. Also bizarre that they are now charging extra for the mobile 'player' software. They used to give that away, unlike Sling.

I think the article is a bit misleading. I read their actual site and unless I'm mistaken (quite possible); it seems like base model only streams video or records to a PC/Mac. The better models up the scale record to various other media, which you can then transfer to your mobile device or stream from an internal Vulkano hard drive or NAS, etc. They actually have a confusing array of models (as they did with their previous unit), with mostly minor differences amongst them. None of them seem to record directly to a mobile device.

3. Ed Hardy

I have a Vulkano Flow that I'm testing for a review. It does, in fact, record video directly. As this feature was only added in the last few days, perhaps the company's website has not yet been updated.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Record onto what (hard drive, SD card, docked device)? And yes, even their own site doesn't describe that for the base model. Frankly, as I mentioned above, they have too many models, with capabilities finely split amongst them. And no 'compare' function on the site that I could find. Still, it's very promising if it works well. Looking forward to a review.

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

It looks interesting but I think I'd rather have it record directly to my PC and then just transfer that to my mobile device, preferably directly to the memory card.

Directly to the mobile device seems like an awful waste of one's mobile data. It would seem to be only useful to those who only have a mobile device and no desktop or laptop.

6. Ed Hardy

I'm testing it on an iOS device, and it records directly to internal storage. I need to check to see how big these files are.

Currently, recording only works over Wi-Fi, so you don't have to worry about using up your 3G minutes.

Definitely. But there are a lot of those people out there.

To me, this feature seems ideally suited to tablet owners. I think there are a lot of college students who would be fine with just a tablet and not a laptop, and combine this with a Vulkano Flow (ideally at Mom and Dad's house) and you have a good solution for watching TV.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015