Virtual party night

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, May 2, 2020.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm trying to figure out how to have a virtual birthday party for my 15 year old daughter. I'm looking at suggestings from Wirecutter.com and other sites, but everything looks a bit lame, at least when it comes to games.

We expect 9 people. We're thinking board games. This will be cross-platform and varying degrees of internet access/speeds. I can set up a Zoom conference to host video chat.

There are services that allow for watching a movie all at the same time. I think the one we briefly looked at requires everyone to have Netflix, so we'd have to resubscribe. I'm not sure all the girls have Netflix, but I'm guessing most would.

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Dang, I was hoping this was the plan for the new virtual BH break room. :vbrolleyes: Then again, we probably wouldn't want to have that on video. :vbeek: :vbgrin:

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I wish I had some suggestions, but you have more ideas than I already have. I am so far behind in this category I have no clue.

Be sure to wish her a Happy Birthday from all of us at BH. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

raspabalsa, scjjtt, Hook and 3 others like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Everything looks complicated, laggy, and not that fun. :(

We'll do a Zoom conference. At least that should work. I'm going to look for some games 9 girls can play together. Scattergories looked promising, but it's 2-6 players.

raspabalsa, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Cards against humanity is now available online. Did they make a family friendly version of it online too? That was announced within the past 2 weeks IIRC.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Thanks for the suggestion! We looked at a bunch of the games out there and decided for various reasons they weren't idea. I re-subscribed to Netflix and tried to get Netflix Party working so the girls to watch a movie simultaneously along w/chat capabilities, but that was a total fail. In the end, it was 7 girls in a Zoom meeting, using my daughter's school credentials so there's no time limit. They're watching 'Back To the Future' with a few seconds of each other and chatting via Zoom. Obviously, it's not ideal, but they seem to be very understanding and enjoying at least this level of connectivity.

We'll make more attempts in the future. :)

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Late for the already-over party, but would scattegories lend itself to team play?

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I started going that route, but I believe it's for 2-6 players and there were 9 girls at the party.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Yes, saw your reason for not using it as written, but 9 girls could be 3 teams of 3. Maybe for the Capital 4th celebration <eek!>

lelisa13p, Hook, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Very nice idea, jig! I wish I had thought of something like this for my girl's b-day last March. Luckily, her mom made a small party (just her and our two kids) with cake. I called via Skype, we sang her Happy Birthday, then with a flourish I presented her with her gift: the DJ console I mentioned in the "How are you faring in this worldwide crisis?" thread. She loved it and by her amazed look I think she had no idea she'd be getting that. Alas, no other guests were present at the party. My son's b-day is on July, and I think he'll enjoy a virtual party, especially since most of his friends are gamers.