Versamail and Desktop Hotsync

Discussion in 'Email/Messaging (Palm OS)' started by DavePJ, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavePJ

DavePJ Newbie

Hello all,

I'm running Versamail 3.1c on my Palm TX. I have 4 IMAP email accounts that generally work OK with a WiFi connection.

Over the past year 12 months I've had random luck with getting the TX to desktop hotsync my email accounts with Outlook 2007. I had the same problem with Outlook 2000. I have installed the Palm Outlook 2007 patch.

For the most part I've given up on desktop hotsyncing email, but it would be nice to have it working again. The only thing that seems to work temporarily is to delete all my email accounts on the Palm and then add new accounts. This might work for 1-4 desktop hotsyncs, but then quits.

Any suggestions? I would gladly move away from Versamail if I could find an email program that supported at least 4 IMAP email accounts with desktop hotsync.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Dave
  2. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

In the conduit setup, put a checkmark in the checkbox next to "Sync Outlook Inbox" & "Sync Outlook Outbox" in the advanced settings.
  3. DavePJ

DavePJ Newbie

Thanks Josser. My whole situation changed because yesterday I upgraded my Palm Desktop+Hotsync Manager to v. 7.0.2. Now I can't even configure desktop mail setup. I receive the error message "The Mail Setup cannot be found. If you cannot find your EMailWiz.exe, you will need to reinstall your Palm Desktop organizer software from the original CD or diskettes that came with your Palm organizer".

I can find and run the EMailwiz.exe file, but when I try to change the mail settings, I get another error message "Unable to find required file...\mal.inf. Please run Mail Setup to correct this problem". And the mail.inf file is in the Palm program folder.

I have no idea what the Mail Setup program is and where to find it, but I should have know better not to mess with Palm software. Everytime I do is causing nothing but grief. I'm going to look for another email program and be done with Versamail.
  4. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Moderator Super Moderator

Are these imap accounts from Gmail? If so the versamail desktop conduits do not include the required security options to support retrieval from Gmail so the transfer does not function. If the direct connection via WiFi to GMail is the only method that accepts the GMail security options.

The Mail Setup program is a separate application and should be found via Start, All Programs, Palm ---

It will allow you to set the options your require.

Again if the WiFi connection is setup and functioning the desktop conduit setup is not pratical, and if GMail has never been enabled as the GMail's security settings are not part of the desktop setup.
  5. DavePJ

DavePJ Newbie

Thanks BAB2000. My IMAP accounts are not with GMail.

There is no mail setup menu choice in the Start>Palm Menu.

I've since switched to Agendus Mail and I'm living with no desktop hotsync for my IMAP accounts.

Thanks,

Dave
  6. 2000lbs

2000lbs Newbie

I recently "upgraded" to palm Desktop 6.2.2 with the accompanying Hotsync7.0.2 and found the latest version is no longer compatible with VersaMail. From the download page:

"VersaMail HotSync synchronization: You will not be able to synchronize email through the USB sync cable. Wireless email synchronization, including Exchange ActiveSync with Outlook, is not affected by this limitation."

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,t=ooccase,case=obj(32859)

The only work around to continue to use VersaMail via wired hotsync is to uninstall the new and re-install a previous Palm Desktop version.

For what it's worth, I've found SnapperMail works well with almost all mail services and attachments render beautifully both incoming and outgoing.