Verizon's $15 Data Deal Gone

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by Inner Prop, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Nice job sticking it to the man, Inner Prop!

A few tips to keep your 3G use down:

1) Leave on wifi. It doesn't have a big hit on your battery, but that way anytime you are near a known wifi spot (like at home), your phone will automatically hop onto wifi. Not only will you have a faster internet experience when you need the web, you'll also be less likely to accidentally use 3G.
    2) Download 3G watchdog or one of the other apps from the marketplace.
    3) Download Quick Settings. Not only is it a great shortcut app that lets you duck in and out of key settings quickly, you can use it to turn off 3G as well. Killing 3G kills MMS but not texting, and will protect you from accidental use.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

A word of warning on wifi. Unlike the iPhone, according to a friend's experience, apparently the LG Ally with the latest Froyo does NOT prefer wifi to 3G. I don't know if this is true for all Android models, but I'd be very careful and shut off 3G to make sure data isn't being fetched on 3G even when you are in range of wifi. Sneaky. Very sneaky.

With iPhone 4 I've had no trouble at all staying under the $15 cap on At&t. Even when I'm out and about, if I view email I get asked about joining whatever wifi networks are within range before it starts fetching stuff. BTW, I could even live within VZW's $9.99 75MB plan if they would let me have it...

But all is not lost! All is not lost! Lines were short on launch day. There are still iPhone 4 available in many Apple stores and Verizon stores. I went to the VZW store last night to take a look at one and they were closing on time at 8pm with only about a half dozen customers in the store. Competition from At&t's tiered pricing will force VZW to offer tiered data again soon, especially if sales are not as hot as they have been on At&t. I still say the explosive sales of iPhone 4 are fueled more by tiered data than by the phone itself and this tepid launch on Verizon with mandatory unlimited data tends to support my conclusions. I suspect you won't have long to wait until switching to a higher plan for a week or 2 will not stand you at the higher rate.

3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

It is a good idea to switch 3G on and off as needed to be safe (easiest using the Quick Settings app QF recommended), but Android does use wifi if available and logged in. You might get a couple of k usage here and there, but nothing significant (I keep 3G on all the time now using PAYG data). I find no indication on the net that the LG Ally is having significant problems with this. There's not even a setting you need to make the preference rule happen. Maybe your friend isn't broadcasting his SSID? I have heard that sometimes phones will have trouble connecting automatically when no SSID is being broadcast. However, if a wifi network is available and the phone is connected, it should always use wifi.

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Yup. r0k's friend is the first I'm hearing of any device grabbing 3G over wifi. I would check if it's a low signal area.

Also, I have noticed my Droid doesn't show the wifi symbol if I wake the screen but don't unlock it, but it shows wifi once it's unlocked. I think it's just a case of suspended animation since it's clearly on wifi right away...but if thats what the Ally is doing that could be confusing.

But IIRC Inner Prop has a Droid 2, which should behave like a Droid 1 and therefore he's good to go :)

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

It turns out my friend's phone was acting up. He has since done a reset and it is working a lot better. Also he thinks that there might have been a setting to ask every time before joining wifi that he had turned on. This doesn't quite ring true because I know that my iPhone will join any network I've ever used unless I go in and tell it to forget one of them. But as of today, my friend's LG Ally is preferring wifi to 3G which is as it should be.

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Glad his phone is working correctly. Sounds like he might have misunderstood the setting, since my settings work just like the iPhone's do.

In any case, glad to hear he's up and running properly!

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

It's amazing that so many people are jumping on this 'Verizon iPhone stores weren't busy' storyline. I think I read that they presold 500,000 already. I think most people simply ordered on-line. Not to mention that many think an iPhone5 is around the corner (maybe for Verizon, maybe not); AND a lot of people are waiting for contracts to expire. Plus, some ATT people think that their service will improve if a lot of people leave ATT. (Again, maybe, maybe not.)

8. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Mobile Deity

Shh, I appreciate the congrats, but let's keep it quiet about beating the man, he might be listening.

I have not seen any indication that I'm not on the 150MB plan now so far so good.

I have a watchdog, but I don't really trust it. I had been trying to figure out an easy way to toggle 3G, but I didn't know about that app QF, I will definitely try it out.

I do toggle WiFi to keep the battery use down, and at my desk at work I hit airplane cuz I don't get much signal anyway.

In about 12 days I used about 60MB since getting the phone, but I suspect that's about max. I even streamed Pandora while in the car for a couple of 30 min commutes. I'm not likely to do that again, but if I did I think I could expect to use a max of about 120MB.

I have noticed that it prefers WiFi if it can get it. I could live on WiFi and maybe one midday 3G sync of Evernote and my emails.

9. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Yes, streaming is out if you are trying to use minimal 3G. It of course depends on the quality of the stream, but audio streams (no video) will chew up 150Mb in a few (very few) hours. You can only stream on wifi. My commuter train is talking about adding wifi. That will be cool if it happens! :newpalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.