Verizon Wireless Announces New Prepaid Smartphone Plan Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ryan Punzalan, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Ryan Punzalan

Ryan Punzalan Brighthand Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Interesting, but not at all compelling to my mind. You can already pick up a Straight Talk SIM and have basically the same thing on AT&T for $45 a month. Verizon's network is nice but not so amazing that it merits almost twice the price.

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I agree, and they should work in a 4G option somehow. Otherwise, it's too expensive for a casual user I think.

4. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Pricy and no choice in Smartphone. Oh, wait, that's right this is Verizon doing this. :rolleyes:

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

FWIW, this is actually less expensive than a 2-year contract for similar limits of voice, text & data, if my family plan is indicative. The 1st/primary line is $89, and that is before *any* data allowance charge. Even if a single-line (non-family plan) is substantially less, it's not going to be cheaper, I think.

I agree, VZW could do a much better job, but if you need their network and absolutely *will*not*consider* a contract, this is an option.

6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

On a single plan, the minimum for the first line is $40 for 450 minutes, plus $20 for unlimited messaging, and $30 for 2 GB of data (4 GB if you're on 4G) making it $90 a month. So a little cheaper, but no big giveaways unless you're really going to put a hurting on those unlimited minutes.