Verizon S5 won't let me enable wifi

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by RickAgresta, Dec 2, 2015.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Version: 4.4.2, Baseband: NE9, 16Gb, rooted but otherwise stock

no clue as to what happened; it was fine this morning before work. at work, wifi was off and I used my data connection. got home, tried to turn wifi on, and it won't take my tap to turn on wifi, either from the notification bar, or from the Settings/wifi panel.

I've tried a power off/ power on cycle; I've done a battery pull; I've wiped both the Dalvik cache and Cache, using Safestrap.

I'm wide open for suggestions, folks. I certainly didn't add any new software between this morning and tonight.

I'll do a backup in anticipation of <shudders> a factory reset, but would really like to avoid that if possible.

also, have tried these suggestions:
    checked that airplane mode was off (it was)
    • checked that there were no power saving options enabled
    • GPS shut off, BT shut off
    • hotspot was not enabled
    • took the cover back off and carefully but firmly pinched the phone all over the back as if I was putting the cover back on(apparently, some earlier Samsungs would lose connections to antennas and this was the fix, not that this is my problem)
    • tried booting up in safe mode

2. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

RA, I saw this solution for the S4. Maybe this can work the S5.

"Internal SD Memory the Path /data/misc/wifi/ the File named wpa_supplicant.conf is having issue.
    Not going to guess what what was done on your side only that wifi cannot read that file so it just shuts off.
    you need root to view this file, I suggest renaming it, reboot then enable wifi again and it will create a new one.
    you will lose all saved passwords from the beginning of time but will be able to use wifi again."

JRakes, Hook, raspabalsa and 5 others like this.
  3. RickAgresta

You did it, my friend. same path and all. many, many thanks, NetBrakr. thank the little ones, too, for me :vbgrin:

JRakes, Hook, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

update: while I can now (when home) connect to a wifi access point, prior to yesterday's adventure, the phone remembered my login info (i.e., password) within a power-up cycle (as long as I didn't turn it off, my password was remembered for my home access point). that is no longer the case, although it may be that in the course of trying different settings, that I changed something I shouldn't have. so, I guess I should be glad that there's no good TV on at this time of year (mostly), so I can continue futzing about with the phone (really?! futzing is in the dictionary? who'd've guessed that... :vbrolleyes: )

scjjtt likes this.
  5. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Glad I could help.

het_grote_gezicht_van_de_grijns_smiley_sticker-rb8d9cc0317af462590825b34c0e8cc8c_v9waf_8byvr_512.jpg

scjjtt, JRakes and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Good luck, RA. Wish I could help. :(

7. RickAgresta

me, too. I think what I'll do, though, is compare the file my S3 has, with what the S5 has -- hopefully that'll point me in the right direction. or I'll just do a hard reset <SER>*

*<SER>==SeriousEyeRolling

jigwashere likes this.
  8. RickAgresta

just saw this didn't have my resolution posted....hard reset fixed everything

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Pretty good save.