Vampy's Tiki Bound

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VampiressRN, Jan 21, 2007.

1. VampiressRN

VampiressRN James Bond Addict

Just spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Verizon...they said it is an issue with my device and are sending me the same model as a replacement for free. I hope it is ok....then when I am ready for an upgrade seriously thinking iPhone. :newpalm:

2. VampiressRN

I ordered a wall holder and will be placing my iPad in my Tiki lounge in order to access drink recipes, etc.

When I have funds, I will get the iPad 2. Is 16GB enough for an average user or do you suggest 32GB? Anyone know if an iPad 3 is in the works and if so, when is it due for release?

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

The one thing I regret about my iPad 1 purchase is skimping on storage. The more it becomes a "real computer" the more you appreciate storage. For instance, I considered purchasing the LOTR movies in the iTunes store but they wouldn't even fit in the storage I had at the time. The same was true for Avatar which I could have got for free but passed because of storage. One use case for the iPad is for long trips to watch movies either in the air, on the train or for the kids in the back of the car. This is not much of a viable use case with a mere 16 GB of storage. OTOH, if you plan to use the iPad in one location for a few well defined tasks, more storage might be an unnecessary luxury.

You mentioned drink recipes. That doesn't sound like it would "break the bank" in terms of storage. What about movies, music or documents? Will you use the iPad as a computer at meetings? I was taking a class that required a text book that was over 200 meg. That thing ate a lot of my storage. There are times I go to meetings and take along a lot of background "stuff" that adds up to close to 100 meg. Another consideration is photostream. It shoves 1000 photos down your throat from your other iThings. On my iPhone, 1,500 photos took up over 8 gig of storage! So 1,000 photos would take about 5.3 Gig. It would be a disaster for that much space to be taken up on my iPad 1 just for photostream.

As a general rule, more storage is better but YMMV.

BTW, if you don't have an iPad 2 yet, I suggest you hang on with your iPad 1 until the iPad 3 comes out. It "should" come out in early 2012 based on previous models.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I always say, go with the most storage you can possibly afford, especially with Apple, since they give you no expansion options (other than the cloud). Of course, they charge you an arm and a leg for it.

5. VampiressRN

Great feedback, thanks folks. Will wait for the next version and aim for high storage. :newpalm:

6. VampiressRN

Thanks to Rick for coming over to the Tiki board to snag me back over here. Just giving you an update here to get all of that out of the way.

TECHNICAL
    -Still on my Dell Inspiron from last year, already have worn off the letter on the A, N, O and part of the M keys...what's up with that, happens to me on every computer....LOL.
    -Still learning about new things on my iPad II and just found out about Evernote. Mostly using it to take notes on meetings at work. But now when I travel, that is all I take with me...no more heavy laptop, unless I need one for work.
    -Still with a Smart Phone...don't seem to be able to type on the screen, so like the touch and then a flip up keyboard...got a Stratosphere.

WORK
    -Next year I will be 60, so seriously thinking about retirement at 61, got my taxman/financial advisor helping me figure it all out.
    -Still managing a training department for a call center, not looking forward to healthcare reform but we are trying to be ready for it.
    -Still driving about 5 or 6 hours a day for 3-4 days a week...it is wearing me out though as I have been doing that for over 6 years. If I didn't like my job, I would have changed to something closer to home.

SOCIAL
    -My 94 year old Mom moved in with me last year as she had taken a few bad falls and needed to get out of her huge country home on 10 acres with a pool she still maintained...not to mention all the rattlesnakes she had to fight with over the years. She is not an easy person to live with and I have been by myself since my divorce over 20 years ago...it has gotten ugly at times, but we are trying.
    -I am still an interior designer at heart. Continuing to add to my Tiki Bar, some Tiki and Witco additions to my dining room, adding more items to my Egyptian master suite, and finally pulling it together for the Bond Bungalow-my guest space. Once I get spaces set up, I post pictures on the Tiki Central board and can link you there.
    -Sadly still caught up in the evil social media of Facebook -Marlene Cross- if you are over there.

7. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I don't suppose you type "man o man" a lot? ;) Welcome back, Vampy. I so happy you dropped in on us again. :)

RickAgresta likes this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm guessing she's engaged in a lot of hand-to-hand combat and has to frequently type 'mano a mano' in her daily reports.

Hook likes this.
  9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Exactly the model I bought, and for much the same reasons. Sadly, my Stratosphere started to malfunction a couple months ago, so now I'm on a backup device without a keyboard, but I'm really looking forward to the Droid 5.

Sounds like a lovely home to have: I can't imagine it's easy to let someplace like that go no matter what the reason.

RickAgresta likes this.
  10. VampiressRN

I guess you caught me..."man-o-man-o-shevitz"...I need to type in code.:p

I think I need to get a new battery for my Stratosphere, it isn't holding as long as usual and seems to be hot when I charge it as of late.