Vampy's Tiki Bound

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VampiressRN, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Hope the healing goes well, Vampy. Nice to see you, even if it is not the best of reasons. Hang out with us and relax. :)

2. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I used to seem kinda, sorta normal. Now I'm the guy with the lolcats. :rolleyes:

Get well soon! Ancient folk remedy attached.

Attached Files:

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

So sorry to learn about this, Vampy :eek: A wrist and a rib, geez you must have fallen like a piano <ouch> I hope you recover soon, girl. Remember that ol' Bond can't be that long without his gorgeous entourage :p

4. VampiressRN

VampiressRN James Bond Addict

Thanks for all the well wishes...I luvs ya all!!!

For some reason when I try to post under the Smartphones section I keep getting bumped out. Maybe someone can post my plight there on my behalf...below is my saga...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So far I have been extremely happy with my LG Ally from Verizon. I like the touch screen combined with a slide-open keyboard. I do a lot of texting and use several applications and it gets good reception.

A couple of months ago, I started getting an error message indicating my phone was full and to delete messages...which I would do but would still get the error message and was unable to receive or send texts until the error message was cleared. It seemed to clear after rebooting and I have plenty of phone and SD card space...have hardly used any. I started to notice a pattern in that every time I upgraded a current app or downloaded a new one this would occur. The last app I downloaded was a scan one and despite clearing all I could and rebooting, I could not clear the error message and was unable to text. I called support and was told this is a known bug and to return to factory settings. I didn't want to loose everything so I uninstalled the scan app and the error cleared.

Does anyone know how to correct this issue as upgrades are now an issue?

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

Vamp, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your LG Ally. Our family had a string of bad LG messaging phones. We had the LG Env and 3 LG Env 3 phones. One was replaced under warranty and failed 2 months later. I had been trying to convince Mrs r0k to switch to iPhone. She had wanted to avoid spending money. One Friday, she called me at work to say we needed to go to the Apple store that evening. It turns out her LG Env had dropped 6 calls that day due to resets and she had finally had enough.

Verizon offered to replace phones under insurance for the $50 deductible but they were unwilling to offer us different phones without a new contract. I asked at a Verizon store about new firmware and they actually admitted the newest firmware had MORE problems and was less stable than the junk firmware our family was dealing with already. I will not own another LG messaging phone. In my life. At least not one from Verizon. I suspect a large part of the problem is LG build quality. Just as you were happy with yours "for months", it didn't quite make it through a 2 year contract am I right? I suspect LG doesn't know how to make a phone that has a mean time between failures of longer than 6 months. Two of our phones had loose fitting batteries and you had to jam in paper stickers between the battery and the battery door to keep the battery from disconnecting during a call. Verizon has a great network but you can't talk on it if your phone is resetting 5 times a day. Granted the kids dropped their phones a lot but my wife kept hers in her purse so there was no reason for hers to fail so miserably.

I suggest you consider an Android or iOS phone or even a Blackberry. Anything else is a recipe for disappointment. Messaging phones simply cannot compete with today's ever less expensive entry level smartphones. There are Android phones available free and even on PAYG carriers and the iPhone 3GS is free on contract from At&t. And yes it's worth leaving "the network" to get a phone that actually works (not to mention a data plan tier that costs half as much as Verizon's entry level smartphone tier).

I know from experience that messaging phones have software bugs and no mechanism for OTA updates and while they try to compete with smartphones, they often do so badly that the phone is unusable much of the time.

Another option is to go down in phone complexity and pick a feature phone that has no qwerty keyboard. They tend to fail less often and are a lot cheaper. But sadly I cannot recommend any messaging phone. Either the carriers mess them up or they were never well designed to begin with. I'm not sure which is the case but I am sure I will never own another one. Get yourself a smartphone and rid yourself of these problems.

For reliability, I would rank iPhone at the top followed by Blackberry which isn't sexy but is stable and Android is at the bottom but still more stable than any messaging phone I've ever seen.

6. VampiressRN

Thanks for that info. My Ally is considered a smart phone with the android system so thought I was getting a great product, but you are probably right about the longevity. The company I work for uses blackberries for their execs and they complain about them all the time.

I may be able to work with Verizon to upgrade to an iPhone but what were the recent issues listed with the 4.0?

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

D'oh! I forgot the Ally was an Android phone. We had a guy here with one who hated it and wanted an iPhone but wasn't eligible to upgrade. All I can say is if you do get an iPhone, you won't be disappointed! The wide array of devices available for Android are part of its undoing. With an iPhone, there are only 3 current models (3GS, 4 and 4S) and they are all excellent.

"Common" issues with iPhone 4:
    Antenna - use a case.
    Delicate glass front and back - use a case.
    Walled garden - jailbreak if you must (I have not).
    iTunes - as of a week ago, no longer an issue.
    Battery life (4S) - not as good as 4, YMMV
    Can't switch off 3G to extend battery life (4S only) - may come back with future iOS updates
    Lock screen / camera access - solved with iOS 5.

Common benefits of iPhone 4 and 4S:
    Call clarity - fine
    Apps - half a million apps - less than 1% "fart app ratio"
    Walled garden - no malware
    User interface - best in existence
    Siri (4S only) - Excellent AI but YMMV
    iMessage - seamlessly works alongside regular SMS - much better than BBM
    FaceTime - only with iOS devices
    photostream - finally I can stop thinking about when, how and if to get photos off my phone (which is also my main camera)
    Camera Quality - Good on 4, best in industry on 4S
    iTunes - best way to search for music even if you go buy it on Amazon afterwards
    iOS updates OTA - no more iTunes for updates
    backup via usb, wifi to a computer (when on charger) or to iCloud

8. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Just for clarification, there's nothing wrong with Android. However, it doesn't prevent people from making really bad phones and putting Android on them. ;)

I nonetheless think an iPhone would be a very good choice for you. :)

9. r0k

r0k Dazed

Thanks for the clarification, Hook. I agree, there is nothing wrong with Android. It's a bit more work up front to make sure you are getting one that won't disappoint because Google has thrown the doors wide open for people to put the Android stamp on a mediocre phone (like the LG Ally).

From Brighthand's review...
    From Gizmodo's review...

10. VampiressRN

Thanks you guys...I will contact Verizon today as my phone did an auto upgrade of my wallpaper and I had to uninstall....grrrrrrrrr!!!!