Using Palm TX. No Email and No access to the Web

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by Bryce_in_TX, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Bryce_in_TX

Bryce_in_TX Mobile Enthusiast

I've now got email and have a connection to the Net!!! Yayyyyy!!! I had to go to my router's website via my laptop computer and add the device to my wireless network. Before I did that my wireless router didn't show up on networks to connect to, just the guest network showed. And I could connect to the guest network, but it was just a local connection. I wasn't actually "in" to connect to the web from it.

So after adding my PDA to the wireless router network via my laptop from my router's website, I was able to enter my wireless router's network password and voila, I was in. I tested the email and it works now and I can connect to some websites.

Now to work on a music application for I can add mp3 music from my laptop and add it to the PDA.

Thanks all for the help.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Impressive progress! Congratulations.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p likes this.
  3. Bryce_in_TX

Bryce_in_TX Mobile Enthusiast

I am able to connect to my ISP email account, but not to any on the web, such as Yahoo, Hotmail. etc. I think that is because the web browser software on my PDA is from the CD ROM disk that came with the TX when it was manufactured 8 years ago or more. Web browsers now come with more secure coding etc which these sites require, IMO. But no one has written an updated mini browser for the Palm. So, I am screwed. lol. I downloaded some old mini browsers (opera, and a couple of others) but none worked or if they did they didn't work as well as blazer which I am using which was installed from the old CD ROM disk. Opera hung up on me and I had to do a hard reboot a couple of times. ouch.

I can use the Palm for my ISP email but that is it. Newer devices, as mentioned above (smartphone or tablet) would allow me to use email from the web, I assume, because they support the current web browsers and current protocols.

Even using blazer on my Palm, it's hard to read sites like marketwatch because not enough information is displayed to easily select what to read. I don't think the videos from these sites work at all on blazer. Would it be any easier to read the web pages on new devices i wonder? I'll have to ask my son about that. He has a current I phone 6, I think it is.

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I thought the TX came with Pocket Tunes for playing mp3's. You could upgrade to steam music and add skins, but basic mp3's should work....right?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

raspabalsa and RickAgresta like this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

The site that you linked to is the same one that we recommend to all who ask about Palm repairs, batteries, screen replacement, etc. (ourselves included. I have 2 TXs to mail in for batteries & screens now that the Holiday postal rush/madness is over.) I was coming to suggest that you try PalmDR for the TX replacement CD when I saw your post with the link. (And also saw that raspabalsa had given you directions there in your other thread.) :thumbsup:

I bought PocketTunes so long ago that I can't recall if there's a demo on the CD or not.

You can load music (copy files) onto an SD card via computer and card reader. The path is Palm/Audio/Album Title. See attached pic (from 2003 forum post but still basically good process.) UPDATED INFO
    Xfer Music to SD Card.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. Sb129

Sb129 Mobile Enthusiast

Real Player or Real One Player is usually what came on CDs. And Real Player works for an MP3 player, very minimal but it does the job and it's free. But as others have said I would go with TCPMP.

E-Mail has been rough, I have had 0 progress with any email client. I have the demos of basically all of them. Chattermail, Snappermail, Eudora Mail, Versamail 2.1 and Gmail. Always get hung up at the SSL portion. Don't know if the version Palm programs use is simply outdated or what but I tried Gmail, Yahoo, Microsoft and even iCloud and nothin. Snappermail tells me the SSL connection was rejected.

Web Browsing is iffy, even back in it's prime Palm was never big on it. But your best bet will be Netfront, Opera and the normal browser with fast mode enabled. I was able to get to the basic HTML version of Gmail using Netfront. It worked! Yahoo didn't work and I know iCloud won't and haven't tried M$ yet.

TCPMP really will cover most of your multimedia needs. If you use WinFF v1.5.1 on Windows and use the built in Palm codec or even the iPod one you'll get smooth and small video that way.

You can also get a now freeware SDHC card driver to use modern SD cards, called "Power SDHC"

Filez and 3X Commander are the best freeware filemanagers.

PalmPDF is a freeware PDF reader, works better than you might think a Palm could do.

Believe it or not, Google maps works flawlessly! It's an app released by Google themselves a long time ago but it works perfectly.

In my experience, Acid Image is the best image viewer for Palm OS, SplashPhoto is next. You can't buy Acid image anymore but amazingly, it seems you can still buy SplashPhoto and other Splashdata applications. I got more apps on my TX (though some are paid and you can't get them anymore)

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, you can rip songs from CDs or copy them from any other source to the SD card. But they don't necessarily have to be copied to the Palm/Audio folder. You can create you own hierarchy in the SD card, and use a card reader to copy songs to the SD card. It's much faster and convenient than syncing music with PalmDesktop.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  8. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Welcome to Brighthand SB129.

Nice contribution to the conversation.

PalmPDF changed it's name to PDFmob and is linked on my Palm TX help page.

When I updated my page, I discovered that nosleep software is completely gone so there is now a download for Filez on my page.

Great suggestions all around!

RickAgresta, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Sb129 is that Google Maps an app or web-based? The last time I tried to use Blazer, I couldn't access anything. I made it work for a long time; but finally pretty much gave up. I hadn't tried email on the Palm in a very long time, although the last time I did, it always worked well. People slammed Versamail, but I found it to be very good given the state of the art at the time. Seamless, clearly displayed, etc.

10. Sb129

Sb129 Mobile Enthusiast

It is an app, made by google. Works very good, image an extremely basic Google maps app on Android or iOS and this is what you'd have. On wifi it's pretty fast and it was pretty decent even on my Centro. Seems Google hasn't done much of anything on the backend of Maps for it to still work.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.