Using Palm TX. No Email and No access to the Web

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by Bryce_in_TX, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Bryce_in_TX

Bryce_in_TX Mobile Enthusiast

I downloaded the Palm desktop 6.2.2 to replace my version 4, but when I did the email disappeared. I couldn't get it to work in version 4, but now I have no email at all on the desktop and don't know how to configure it on the PDA. This is as hard to learn as learning the BASIC programming language. I never advanced to C++. I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit, Home Edition.

1. So, I no longer have VersaMail on the desktop and it probably wouldn't work in today's environment anyway now that SSL is required or some other form of security. (Versamail said it did not support SSL)

2. I found "Snapper mail" and have downloaded it, set up the email account on my PDA, including SSL and ports, but it still doesn't work after hot syncing. After having set up my email config on my PDA, I no longer see a way of getting back to the config. to "jostle" it and try different things. Any one know what steps I can take to get back to the configuration on the PDA? I don't see the application at all on my desktop, anywhere. Is it this hard to do things on an HP IPAC?

After trying to send an email, the error message reads:
    "SEND: socket closed by peer Failed to connect to smtp.mail.yahoo.com"

This is not my ISP's email. My ISP is/was Time Warner, which is now Spectrum.

3. I have Blazer connected to the web, but nothing shows up on the screen for any website, including the default. Any ideas on what is going on there?

Thanks for any help to a newbie.

P.S. In case you're wondering why I don't use a smart phone, it's because of cost. I am retired and it is a waste of money to spend $30 or more a month for mobile email and a pda. I have a dumb cell phone that I use for mobile communications that costs me $20 every 3 months. I have accumulated over $100 on it because I don't use it that much. I have a landline at my residence which I use most of the time for local and long distance calls (some long distance) and for money transfers between checking and savings accounts.

I was in the signal corps branch of the Army over 40 years ago and the Soviets (now Russians) could intercept (today's it's hack) our wireless transmissions anytime they chose to. Nothing has changed. Wireless will always be less secure than wired, though wired can be tapped to, it's just a lot more inconvenient to do so.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    lelisa13p, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Sir, thank you for your service and welcome to Brighthand. I'm not military, but spent some time as a civilian at Ft. Huachuca.

The trouble is that the Palm architecture for internet was stretched pretty thin in its heyday. For instance, a TX requires B mode or B/G mixed mode wifi. It will in most cases not operate in mixed mode with anything else even if that mixed mode includes B. Also, even if you got Snappermail working, at some point it's going to require a purchased license and you can't obtain them any more, unless you already had one.

The TX is still fine as a PDA if you work out all the driver issues with newer versions of windows. I have a refurbished TX set up in my basement. But I would never go back to it as my daily driver. I have nerely adapted my smartphones to be PDAs I do use Pay-as-you-Go (PAYG) voice and data services, but mostly I use it as a terrestial device rather than a lot of wireless services.

You can use a smartphone as a wifi only PDA. These days, you can find low end unlocked cell phones on Amazon that you can use on wifi only (turn off mobile voice, text and data) and, even with Android, you can not use Google (I use very few Google apps). You can get a low end smartphone that is light years more powerful than a TX for under $100. I'd go for a low-end motorola which you can usually find on sale in this category.

It will take a little research on your part, but I'm pretty sure you don't have problems with research.:vbwink:

Just my thoughts. I'm not trying to dissuade you or sell you on anything. By the way, I'm no youngin' Just turned 64.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I haven't used a Palm TX in ages and even when it was working, Blazer wasn't very good. I recall I had Versamail working reasonably well, but don't remember much about it. I probably won't be much help.

I completely understand your reasons for not wanting to pay monthly fees for a smarthphone plan with a carrier. But have you considered getting a smartphone or tablet and just using it on WiFi - similar to the Palm TX? You could get the Amazon Fire 7" tablet for $50 (it frequently goes on sale for $40) for a much more friendly internet and email experience. There are options that would probably be better than Doc2Go, too, although I gave up using mobile office suites a long time ago.

EDIT: Hah! My kids interrupted me long enough for Hook to give a much better response. :)

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, this is something I've seen many times, with many different routers - I've said just what Hook said above in more than a few threads about the TX and WiFi. However, a few weeks ago I purchased a TP-Link router for my home, set it up to mixed B/G/N mode as usual, and a few days later when I picked up my TX to tinker with it I noticed it was able to connect to the router immediately. I was very surprised to see this, as this was the first time in several years that my TX was able to get online on a B/G/N router. I don't know what's different on these TP-Link routers that allows the TX to connect, but they're very cheap (mine cost around $4o) and I think they're very much worth the expense if you want to go online with your TX without affecting your newer devices.

5. Bryce_in_TX

Thanks guys for the input. Smart phone would be ok without a voice subscription. That would work for wifi at home for email, as I understand you are saying, or at a wifi hot spot somewhere.

I thought I would be able to use the TX for an audio player for my walks, but don't see how to do that either. I just didn't realize what I was getting into with an obsolete device. Thanks again for the help.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I have a vague recollection regarding Versamail and SSL. Although Versamail desktop might not support SSL via hotsync, I think SSL works when syncing emails directly via WiFi. I'm sorry - my memory just isn't clear about that, and my brief search was futile.

scjjtt likes this.
  7. Bryce_in_TX

I did find a site that supports Palm PDAs. They also have original disks for them also, as well as accessories and a repair service.

http://www.palmdr.com/cart/accessories-c-8.html

I did find out how to change the ports and protocols for email, but haven't got it to work yet. If I do I'll post.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    lelisa13p likes this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

There are several audio players for the TX, but none of them is/was free, so at most you can have the trial versions of them. Aeroplayer had 15-day trial and once it's over the app will disable some or all of the codecs, meaning you won't be able to play certain formats. pocketTunes also had a 15-day trial and then you had to buy it, or it stopped working. I have the installers for both Aeroplayer and pTunes in my software library. If you'd like to try either of these two programs, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them to you.

There's also a free video player, TCPMP, that can also play audio files. You can try and see if it works for you. You can download TCPMP from Hook's Palm TX Help Page here

The TX is not obsolete... it's vintage ;)

EDIT: FTFY re. obsolete :D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

TCPMP should work very well for you; I've used it, and pTunes, no complaints from me. Good luck!

10. Bryce_in_TX

Hi Raspabalsa, thanks for the reply. I have downloaded a trial version of pockettunes. I haven't played with it yet to see what I can do with it. Can I add songs from CDs that I have or do I have to buy them from a website? I ask this question because even though I have pocket tunes installed on my TX, my Palm Desktop doesn't show the application so I don't see how I can add songs from my computer's hard drive.