Using monster battery in TX, need guidance

Discussion in 'Palm' started by konstantin_neo, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. konstantin_neo

konstantin_neo Ignorologyst

Hello.
    I have been looking at some Li-Ion batteries is search of a replacement for my aged TX.
    Lets say that size does not matter (no pun) (no really no pun) and you can use the largest Li-ion battery, for example here are some batteries: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=1338
    and if I would like to use this one:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4241
    Its a 5000mAh 3.7 Li-Ion, so technically the task is to solder the charge controller of my old TX battery over this one for it to work?
    If there are other considerations, if this wont work please comment about it.
    Thanks for your input.

Konstantin.

Attached Files:

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, just solder the original protection circuit to the new battery. Be careful not to invert polarity.

5000mAH is huge, much bigger than my 3800mAH mod. How do you plan to install this battery? Attached to the back?

3. konstantin_neo

Well where to put it I don't know, yet.
    Could you provide a link to your mod info and pics?
    The included Palm charger is 0.25A so I guess the charging time will be long.
    Is safe to use a higher current output charger with this type of a mod?

Raspabalsa, please share what type of battery did you used.

I have seen there are Li-Ions and Li-Poly and I guess Li-Ion is the way to go.

Konstantin.
    P.S.
    Saludos a Ecuador!!!

4. raspabalsa

I don't have pics for my TX battery mod, butessentially it's a 3800mAH battery made up of 4 Li-Poly batteries connected in parallel to a single protection circuit. One battery is the internal, original one (1250mAH), the other three are Nokia BL-5C batteries (850mAH each) attached to the back of the TX. My TX resides in a leather case, so the external batteries are concealed from view. Of course when I remove the leather case the TX turns into an ugly monster! :D

Yes, the charging time is long. A full charge (from 3.6V to 4.0V) takes about 8 hours for my battery with the included charger.

No problem using an adapter with a higher amperage rating. The rating is just the maximum current that can be supplied by the adapter. The adapter will not "force" more current into the palm, because the TX's internal charger manages current and keeps it in the required level. So it's safe to use another adapter as long as it supplies 5V DC regulated output.

5. raspabalsa

Ok, I did a quick scan of my TX so you can see how the external batteries are installed. You'll see it's not pretty but the leather case hides it all, so no big deal.

Attached Files:

6. dogbarber

dogbarber No one in particular...

Doesn't that battery get hot in your hand?

7. raspabalsa

No, not at all. Quite the contrary, in fact. The TX continues to consume the same current it did with the original battery (no change of load). But now that current is divided among the four batteries, so each battery is actually supplying less power than if it was alone. Same when charging: the same current that was used to charge a single battery is now used to charge four, so every battery gets 1/4 of the charging current of the single battery. Less current means less dissipated heat.

8. konstantin_neo

What is the battery life now?

The thing I do not understand about Li-ion batteries is the 1C, 1.5C,2C,5C, what are those specs?

Konstantin.

9. raspabalsa

I get about 12 to 14 hours of continuous video playback with TCPMP at fullscreen, max brightness, using headphones. More than a week of "regular" use (PIM and other apps, occasional MP3 or short video). Take into consideation that I keep my TX overclocked to 416MHz all the time (using Warpspeed), so a TX at original clock should give you about 16 or more hours of video playback with my battery. With yours this figure could increase to about 24 hours of video playback (if TX not overclocked). :cool: Could be even more, since I'm extrapolating my batteries performance, and these batteries are already almost 3 years old (inherited from T2 then T3)

10. raspabalsa

These specs are related to any battery, not just Li-Ions. Those figures state the required current that can be used to properly charge a battery. "C" is the battery's capacity, in AH (ampere-hours) or mAH (miliampere-hours).

So, if you get a 5000mAH battery, and the datasheet says "charge with max 1.5C" then this means you can use a max current of 1.5 x 5000mAH = 7500mA to charge the battery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.