Using Google Voice to simultaneously ring multiple phones

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 21, 2016.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My current work location has terrible reception for cell calls/cell data for all carriers, although T-Mobile and Sprint seem to be the best, depending on the device. I'm on Sprint, and while I usually get a few bars, it's not consistent and I have missed a few calls. I instruct family and friends to ALWAYS leave a voicemail, because at least I'll eventually get a notification for that and respond.

Enter Google Voice. I signed up for Google Voice while it was still Grand Central. I rarely took full advantage of all the available features, and as my needs have changed and with decent Sprint/GV integration, it's really been something I've taken for granted. But this week, I decided I'd had enough of the missed and dropped calls and decided to take action.

Step 1. I had to (finally) have my desk phone at the office fully set up. As a contractor, I didn't receive a lot of calls on it and didn't even have voicemail enabled, but I'm converting to FTE. When I requested voicemail, I asked that it be configured so it doesn't pick up until after 6 rings.

Step 2. I added my desk phone as one of my Google Voice phones. Google Voice is a phone system that can work across multiple devices and applications. Basically, when someone calls my GV number, any enabled device or app (e.g., Hangouts) will ring. I can answer any one. It's NOT the same thing as having multiple phones in your house ring and you answer one - that's more like a party line. It's more like having multiple extensions in your office ring - you pick one up and that's the active line.

Step 3. With all that set up, all I have to is enable my office phone whenever I want. I have a shortcut to the GV setup page on my phone. In the morning, when I arrive at the office, I enable my office phone; I disable it at the end of the day.

Yesterday, my son got injured while on lunch break at his summer jazz camp. He called from the nurse's office. Because of the bad reception my cell phone didn't ring, but my desk phone did and I was able to deal with the situation.

Two other advantages of Google Voice: When I receive a GV call on my desk phone, I can seamlessly transfer it to my cell phone, allowing me to continue a conversation on the road that originated at my desk; I can use my desk phone as aa passthrough to GV by simply dialing my GV number, punching in a code, and dialing my contact. My contact and I have a clear conversation, but the caller ID shows up as if it came from my cell phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Nicely detailed and explained. I've given my employer my GV number, as my cell number is not local to where I live. (SERO was never available in the Rochester market, so I had to pick the closest location I could find, thus leaving me with a non-local number and long distance charges for the caller when they call me from a landline. It's been that way since I got SERO years ago.)

I originally had my GV number ring my office and cell together, but I decided against that, as it was not obvious to me to switch it on and off like you have. At any rate, I try to discourage calls to my cell. I have a dedicated office phone number that can be reached from anywhere, and isn't an extension.

Had I chosen to have my cell used more, this would surely be an option. :)

r0k, Mi An, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I've had a Google Voice account ever since I had a Nokia N810 Internet Tablet, which was 1/2 of my deconverged solution with my Palm Treo 755p. I got it for international calls (since the 755p especially on Sprint was really worthless for that), but it was mostly "just because" and I thought it would be pretty cool to make "phone calls" from my Nokia N810 which only had wifi. At the time, I also configured it to ring my home phone, cell phone, etc., when my GV number was called, but I quickly disabled after selling my Nokia N810 when I finally moved on from Palm with an HTC EVO 4G. I kept it active through several warnings from Google (just logging in and sending a message or making a quick voice call), but I pretty much stopped using it.

Anywho, turns out that it was a good thing I kept it, because when I flashed just about any custom ROM (especially AOSP) on any of my subsequent Android phones, I would lose the Sprint voicemail app. I could still call in to my voicemail, but the notifications of voicemail were REALLY wonky unless running the Sprint VM app. The best solution was to convert my Sprint number over to Google Voice. Even though I would frequently come back to a Sprint ROM, Google Voice was still a better experience than Sprint's VM app. So I've been using it ever since, and I'm definitely glad I did that now that I have the Nexus 6. Even though I'm now very committed to using it, since I no longer have a landline at either my Florida or Virginia houses, I don't have a use for the multiple line ringing features, but I do really enjoy all the other features, especially being able to access SMS from the website, as well as see all phone calls and transcribed voicemail messages.

r0k, Mi An, RickAgresta and 1 other person like this.
  4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I got a number of emails from google demanding that I "reactivate" the phone lines my GV was forwarded to. I ignored them and recently I got another email stating that my GV will no longer "ring through" to the lines I had listed. Oh well. I hardly used it anyway. I honestly thought about having my landline ported to GV. Instead I had my landline ported to Ooma. Ooma offers $3 a month VOIP and for $10 a month, they email you voicemails as mp3 files. They pester the living crap out of me to buy add on services but I stick to my $13 a month "more landline than I'll ever need" solution. It is my Ooma number that my GV now forwards to, or I should say would forward to if I didn't ignore those nuisance "do something now" emails from google.

jigwashere likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm sure Google felt very hurt when you failed to accede to their "demands." ;) :D

I've thought about getting an Ooma for home use, too. It seems like a good deal and very dependable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

r0k and RickAgresta like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

r0k, I got those as well. I think periodically if you're not using those phones through GV, they want to verify them. I think it happened to me twice. It took 10 seconds to keep them active.

r0k and jigwashere like this.