Using BlackBerry Desktop Manager Switch Device Wizard

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by ArGiEs, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArGiEs

ArGiEs Palm no more

I ran an experiment one day recently after finding out that the BalckBerry Desktop Manager (version4.6) Switch Device Wizard supports both Palm and Windows Mobile platforms. Below is a brief account of my "project."

I plugged in my BlackBerry 8830 (OS version 4.2.2.196) to the computer after launching the DM. Launched Switch Device Wizard, selected Palm device. It then lets you know the Palm desktop version requirements, since that is where it copies your data from (not from the handheld); basically, anything v. 4 and up is accepted. Going forward, it asks you through each stage (each PIM) if you want it done.

I won't go into all the details here. Once finished, here is what I found:

Tasks: this is a progrm I don't actively use alot, so unfortunately I have no detailed experience to share, The two tasks it transfered came through ok.

Calender:no data before the date that I tried this was copied; only that date's info and future appointments were copied. what came through came through well, though.

Memos: everthing was copied well; very readable in the 8830's memo pad.

Contacts: ah, the critical one for me. I'd wanted somehow to be able to transfer my 400-plus names& numbers out of my T3 into the BB. It did so with what I thought was surprising accuracy. This Wizard uses Intellisync software, and rather than just exporting-importing data in a linear field-by-field order, it tries to seek out fields of the same name in both platform's apps (home~home, work~work). The addresses in the T3's contacts were logically carried over into the BB's. Typically the phone numbers were, too, but here's where some problems came in. Palm's contacts phone numbers have drop-down menus that enable one to change the field label (like from "work" to "mobile"). BlackBerry's contacts doesn't have that;I think this caused some confusion. Also, the Wizard looked for equivalent field names; Palm has a "Main" label, not found in BlackBerry, so numbers labeled "Main" weren't carried over. One number I saw that was a Home number wound up being a Fax number in the 8830. For me, since contacts tends be be more casual than intensive, this wasn't too big a deal, since one nice feature of the BlackBerry is that when you dial a selected contact, it asks you which of the numbers stored in that record you wish to dial, so regardless of what field it's in you can select it. I'll go through the records at my leisure and re-organize them sometime.

Also, catagories that i had created in the Palm PIMs were re-created in the BlackBerry.

Warning: before doing any of this, back up everything! The wizard assumes that you intend to throw your Palm away after the transfer. I figured this because I later found each memo, each calender entry, and each contact had an Intellisync ID tag number attached to it, usually in a "note" field, if one was available. This ID number was an alphanumeric string about three dozen digits long...added about 200KB to my contacts file size alone:rolleyes: Fortunately, I was able to restore the pre-experiment files back to RAM via Resco Backup. It also did something more annoying: I use a calender enhancement app called MyWeek, which presents the calender in a very readable week form. It's like a very stripped-down version of DateBk, and uses DateBk icons. After the transfer I found the wizard had stripped out all the icons I had attached to various contacts over the past couple years--fortunately, again, restored most of it from back-up, but had to restore some of it manually. Again: if you do this intending to keep your Palm or WM handheld after thePIM data transfer to a BlackBerry, back up everything just before you do. There will likely be some clean-up to do afterwards;)

2. sew-m500

sew-m500 Not so Newbie

Thanks for this post!

I'm experiencing two differences. First, I'm prompted to have both devises attached to the computer (looks like it is not pulling from Palm DM). Also, at the prompt to chose Palm or WM, the options are grayed out and can not be selected. My choice here is to "Back" or "Cancel" the "Next" is also grayed out.

Anyone else experience this? I'm using BB Desktop Manager v4.7.
    Thanks!

3. sew-m500

sew-m500 Not so Newbie

I read through all the BB and MS reasons of why the options did not appear, I opted to sync my outlook to yahoo and then yahoo to the bb thru the desktop manager. It will work for a one time swap, but there is alot of clean up to do. Most annoying thing so far, bb keeps contacts in first name, last name alpha sort in contact view. If anyone knows how to switch that, please let me know. My Hubby assures me that I'm the only person that keeps them sorted alpha lastname,firstname - so maybe it's not thought of to do. . .

4. ArGiEs

ArGiEs Palm no more

I was probably mistaken about pulling from the Desktop, since obviously Intellesync data wound up in the T3.

I can't help with much anything else, unfortunately.