Use m-Router w/ bluetooth - free internet setup for your handheld.

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by techno nerd, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techno nerd

techno nerd I dont know what to say.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Changed the thread title, as this post has nothing to do with Softick PPP or Mocha PPP.

3. techno nerd

sorry, but it kinda does, instead of buying them, you can get this for free!

but i am sorry, and it doesnt matter what the title is.

4. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Cool - I'm going to try doing that this weekend.

Thanks tn.

5. techno nerd

i try to please people, what can i say?

he he.

6. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

MocaPPP is free.

( 8(|)

7. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

True but it does not support a USB connection. Only serial.

8. Andy2No

Andy2No Newbie

I just tried m-router with my Tungsten W and I get a Fatal Exception every time I click a link. I've tried Xiino, Blazer and Web Pro. They all did the same thing. I was using the USB->Palm option with my cradle.

It seems to connect okay but it won't actually do anything useful. The version I just installed is m-Router 3.1.0.28.

Has anyone got this to work with a Tungsten W? SoftickPPP works fine, so it's clearly possible, but I'd rather use m-router because it's free :)

Alternatively, if anyone got this to work with any Palm OS 4 PDA, what version of m-Router did you use? Does anyone have a link to an older version I could try?

I've tried unticking all the other device options, like the Symbian Emulator, but nothing I do makes any difference.

9. n1c0_ds

n1c0_ds Mobile Evangelist

I use this method, takes around 3 minutes to setup (once installed) and works just fine.

10. Andy2No

Andy2No Newbie

Ermm... What method would that be?

11. Andy2No

Andy2No Newbie

... and what sort of PDA do you have, plus were you using a cradle like I tried to, or blue tooth? Also, what version of m-Router worked for you?

I'm sure it does work on a variety of PDAs with blue tooth, maybe even using a USB cradle, but on a Tungsten W, the version I tried definitely doesn't, and the T-W doesn't have blue tooth.

So, if anyone has got it working on a Tungsten W, or even an M500 series or some other Palm OS 4 PDA, and with the USB cradle, what version of m-Router did you use?

12. Andy2No

Andy2No Newbie

Update:

Since my trial period for SoftickPPP expired, and I didn't really feel like parting with that much money to connect my PDA to the internet when I'm sat next to an actual PC, I tried running m-router again.

I've found that I can use it okay with EudoraWeb (EIS 2.1), which is text only, and with Palm Versamail. I can sort of use it with Xiino (trial period again) provided I turn off images, and don't try to load them afterwards. It still tends to give me Fatal Exceptions.

I can't load a page in Web Pro without a fatal exception, or in Pocketlink, or Opera Mini (the basic version, running on the IBM Websphere Java runtime). I was wondering if it could be related to using a proxy or data server, but I'm under the impression that Web Pro isn't using one.

Loading the BBC 5 day weather forecast causes the fatal exception in Xiino even with images (and JavaScript) turned off.

None of these things happen with SoftickPPP so I'm curious to know why m-router should be so different. I wonder if it's something to do with the size of the page being loaded (so smaller with no images = less crashes), or if maybe the data is being sent in large chunks that overflow the Tungsten Ws buffers.

13. holvoetn

Only one way to tell, see if you can enlarge the cache on your TW (there are a couple of tools around to do so ...)

14. Andy2No

Andy2No Newbie

Do you mean the cache for each browser? I don't think that's the problem because the same pages load in the same browsers using either SoftickPPP or a WiFi connection with my Enfora Wifi Portfolio.

I'm wondering if it's like the legendary "ping of death" variant whjere an attacker would send a very long ping packet in the hope that it would overflow the end of the receive buffer and wipe out the computer at the other end...

15. holvoetn

No, I mean a tool that increases the actual cache available on your device so it would become less crash-prone.
    Can you pls conduct a search over the forum, it has been discussed before... (sorry, little time at hands right now ...)

16. Andy2No

Andy2No Newbie

Actually, I've given up on the whole idea since I bought my own wireless router (instead of "borrowing" wifi connections from unidentified neighbours).

There must be a bug in the Tungsten W networking somewhere which m-router triggers. Nothing else does it though, so it could also be considered a bug in m-router. Softick PPP worked fine, as does any proper form of internet connection, i.e. by GPRS or Wifi with my Enfora Wifi Portfolio.

M-router must do something strange to upset the T-W. As the Later Palm OS 4 devices are all pretty similar, I'd expect it to happen with an M500 series, for example, which is why I asked if anyone else had experience of it with an OS 4 device. My guess would be that it sends enormously long packets occasionally, which overflow a receive buffer.

I can't say I really care any more though :)

There's something wrong with this forum today. I clicked the mobile version link in the notification email I received and it seems to have stuck. I guess it's a cookie. When I previewed my reply the message box was empty, and the message I submitted was blank, so I've had to paste it back in again. Oh well...

17. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

Bumping this up. Anyone have the file available? Looks like the link for m-router is no longer valid. Thanks

I'm quite interested in trying to surf via bluetooth from my computer now that I got a USB adapter for my computer and I now use it for Skype and of course hotsync (although I can't believe how slow it is to hotsync via BT)

18. echo4lima

echo4lima Semper, Silens, Mortalis

Havn't tried it, let me know if it works, scanned virus free...

mRouter3

PS where in BC?