USB to 3.5mm Adapter

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Purhonen, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Purhonen

Purhonen Retired Navy

Nice idea, thanks. But my playback device is not IOS; it's sort of a generic MP3 player (Actually here is a link to the device I'm talking about: http://www.ccrane.com/CC-Witness-Plus-Digital-MP3-Recorder-Player-with-Built-In-AMFM-Radio It is a "Digital MP3 Recorder-Player with Built-In AM/FM Radio")
    Plus your suggestion is a bit pricey for an old, frugal person such as I.

2. Purhonen

Purhonen Retired Navy

Well I got the item suggested by "Raspabalsa" and it also does not work.

I think I was not clear initially in describing what I was trying to do and what device I'm trying to plug into my Honda's sound system.

Here is a link to my device:
    http://www.ccrane.com/CC-Witness-Plus-Digital-MP3-Recorder-Player-with-Built-In-AMFM-Radio
    (It is described as a "Digital MP3 Recorder-Player with Built-In AM/FM Radio")

And here is what I'm trying to do:
    -- Connect my device to my Honda's sound system via one of its two USB ports (the car does NOT have a 3.5mm input jack - my previous Honda, a 2013, did have such a jack)
    -- I want whatever is being played by my device to be heard through the car's sound system. (I think the adapters I've gotten are designed to do the REVERSE! That is, to hear in headphones or ear buds whatever sound is being produced from the car's sound source (radio, CD, bluetooth, etc.) I want my device to be the sound producer and the car's sound system to be the player.
    -- My device has ONLY one 3.5mm (female) jack.

I hope I have made things clearer. Any ideas now?

3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

They do make cassette adapters; but with a new car like yours, you probably don't have a cassette deck in the car.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

The device you linked has a mini USB port for data transfers to your computer. I believe if you plug it into the USB port on your car, it will act like a flash drive.

According to the FAQ on the website the interface is "USB 2.0; the cord used is a Mini USB male to USB type A male. The type A male USB is what the average USB connector looks like." I wouldn't be surprised if you had a couple of those cable around the house that you may have used with an older digital camera or cell phone. Perhaps one even came with your MP3 player.

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Disclaimer: just trying to help trouble-shoot, in which case I run down all possible 'oops' scenarios....so please don't take offense

1 -- okay, the Honda in-dash unit has 2 USB ports -- did you try both of them and get the same results?
    2 -- on the in-dash unit, in my experience, the user has to specify what the input should be: AM,FM1,FM2, AUX. did you run through those options, or does the in-dash unit auto-sense -- no owners manual here, so can't really even guess.
    3 -- on the Digital MP3 Recorder-Player with Built-In AM/FM Radio, does the 3.5mm jack work with other devices, like earbuds? is it possible that you need to change a setting on it so it isn't thinking that whats plugged in is a microphone?

6. Purhonen

Purhonen Retired Navy

Yes, one did come with the MP3 player. I will give it a try. When I plug my MP3 player into my laptop (Windows 7 SP1) the OS senses it and gives me several options, one of which is to select files via Explorer. If (big IF) the Honda setup allows me to do the same thing I should be able to select the audio files I want to play and be good to go. I'll give it a try, thanks a lot for you help!

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  7. Purhonen

Purhonen Retired Navy

Thanks Rick, all good points, but alas:
    1. Yes, I tried both of them. No joy.
    2. Yes, I selected the USB input source (it does not auto-sense). No joy.
    3. Yes, the 3.5mm jack works very well with my ear buds. Also, it should not confuse the ear buds for a microphone because the device has a built-in mic.

8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

What about just going over to your Honda dealership and seeing if someone knows how to do it? It might be a common issue.

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. Purhonen

Purhonen Retired Navy

Thanks again jgwashere, tried connecting with the cable that came with the MP3 player. No joy. The display on the Honda console simply said something to the effect "Looking for data." It's obvious to me that the USB cable it used only for recharging and data swapping.

RickAgresta likes this.
  10. Purhonen

Purhonen Retired Navy

Hey questionfear, what a great idea! I hadn't thought of something so obvious (I tend to think Zebras when I hear hoofbeats). Will do it first thing tomorrow . . . with me luck.