USB Connection Failures! Help!

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Doc B, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc B

Doc B Guest

In the past week or so, I suddenly started to experience consistent problems with my USB cradle connections, both at home and at the office. It seems to have started around the time I updated to ActiveSync 3.8, but I can't be sure, because I also installed Symantec's AntiVirus for Handhelds about the same time this weird problem began. Here's the problem; on either desktop, when I place my 5550 in the cradle I sometimes get a "USB Device Not Recognized" message, or something to that effect. I then remove and re-seat the iPaq until it eventually connects and syncs, usually after two or three attempts. Unfortunately, the connection inevitably drops after several minutes. It just cuts out, almost as though it times out. I get an ActiveSync disconnect tone, and a "Not Connected" message appears. Frustrated, I deleted 3.8 and reinstalled ActiveSync 3.7.1. No luck, connections continue to drop, even though the steady amber LED shows I'm hooked up and getting power, AND I still get the deep bass disconnect tone when I remove the "Not Connected" device from the cradle!

What happened!!

Doc

2. bhbmp1

bhbmp1 Mobile Enthusiast

Your connector starts going bad. This is a very typical problem for 55xx and 54xx. The problem usually gets worse the more you use accessory cables instead of cradle.

3. Doc B

Doc B Guest

bhbmp1,

You're right. Close inspection revealed a pin mashed down in the connecter. I can still get power to charge, but the connector is otherwise finished. I do have to use accessory cables, though, and am very disappointed that HP didn't come up with a more robust design. I've been synching via Bluetooth connections until I figure out what I want to do with the device. Any idea of the time and cost involved in replacing the connector? Does it have to go to HP, or are there any authorized service centers out there that could handle it?

Many thanks for your response.
    Doc

4. bhbmp1

bhbmp1 Mobile Enthusiast

I wouldn't do it with HP if the warranty has expired. You can purchase the replacement connector board at foxconn.com or other sites (like ipaqrepairs.co.uk -- US site doesn't sell parts for some reason). Foxconn site has it cheaper, but it has weird rules -- they show you how much they charge in USD, and then ask you to confirm that they might actually bill you differently (they are in Taiwan). Their customer service doesn't answer phones and does not return v-mails. So I'm kind of not sure what to do myself yet. The reason HP connector is so unreliable is that it is just cheaper for them to manufacture this way. Eventually I might just get fed up with this situation and dump iPAQ in favor of Dell...

5. Doc B

Doc B Guest

bhbmp1,

I went ahead and ordered the replacement connector from a company called pdasmart.com. They seem to be squared away; lots of follow-up regarding order received, processed, shipped (with tracking # etc). After ordering the replacement part, however, I found my receipt from OurStore.com for the 5550; the order date was 6/18/04. I suspect that means it's still under warranty, despite what HP said. So my dilemma; do I perform a hard reset and send it off to HP for a couple of weeks, or do I just swap out the connector when it arrives. According to the description at pdasmart.com the "Switch Board Assembly includes the sync connector and action and launch buttons pads (but not the chrome buttons themselves) on this drop-in board. This will work with the 54xx and 55xx iPaq ONLY."

If I take the latter approach, and replacement is fairly straightforward, I'm hoping I can avoid the headache of living without my PDA, which I use heavily on a daily basis, and then having to perform a complete reinstall when it eventually comes back. So, do I risk breaking the "Warranty Void if Broken" seal if HP still owes me another 4 months on the warranty? I'm presuming I'll have to break the seal to replace this "drop-in" board.

Thanks,
    Doc

6. kiwiruss

kiwiruss Mobile Evangelist

I ordered the same part from pdasmart.

Its a little trickey to do the repair, but if you go slow and carefully, its ok.

My 5455 is syncing fine now, so I can confirm the connector does go bad.

:-( bloody HP, cheap parts.

7. Doc B

Doc B Guest

kiwiruss,

My parts arrived yesterday as my wife and I were heading out the door to run an errand. I also ordered the Torx tool sold by pdasmart, so I had everything I needed right in the box. To kill time, I replaced the part on the road. You're right; it is a little tricky the first time, but not too bad. Having done it once, I know the next time will be a breeze. (Unfortunately, I suppose there will be a next time.) When I got home, I placed the 5550 in the cradle, and I was back in business.

Many thanks for the input,
    Doc

8. kiwiruss

kiwiruss Mobile Evangelist

There was a torx screwdriver in the box with my replacement part.

I didnt know this so had ordered another one so now I have two :-(

If you open your box there's probably one in there with the borad.

9. bhbmp1

bhbmp1 Mobile Enthusiast

I just got my switchboard assembly from PDASmart, installed it in 5555, and everything seems to work fine, except for the following strange fenomenon. Every time I power on my unit (when it is not cradled) it tries to establish serial connection ('115000 baud) via ActiveSync, like as if it is cradled. I always have to cancel it. It doesn't happen after soft reset, only regular power on, and I can see that AS gets started automatically in this case. What's more weird is if I have an SD card in (1GB Sandisk), this serial connection request starts and stops constantly until I hit Cancel. Without the SD Card, it starts only once, and if I don't cancel it times out.
    It seems to me like there might be some pin-out incompatibility of my particular switchboard assembly with 5555. Anyone else seen this? My switchboard arrived after being 1 month on backorder at PDASmart.

10. server

server ^i^

definitely does not sound normal, and if you can reproduce
    the error consistently, then I'd say you probably have a bad
    board or your install was not as smooth as you thought.

Try disassembly and re-assembly again and see if the problem
    clears up. If not, I'd ask for a swap. You mentioned "back-
    ordered" you may have 'mistakenly' receiving a refurb'd board?

If I'm not mistaken there is a self test util buried in the
    Settings/systems folder, just for fun go through the whole
    inventory and observe any anomalies. But if I had to guess,
    your problem only existed after the swap so I'd still say you
    have a faulty board...