USB-C PD (Thunderbolt) and USB-C Cable

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Nov 24, 2020.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Just curious. My Galaxy Book Ion have the capability to charge it with thunderbolt port.

The charger comes with it is 65W (19V 3.42A).

I got a 65W Anker Powerport III POD light, because it was so compact. But here is my concern. I wanted to get a very long USB C cable. There is an Anker 100w cable but it is only 6ft. There is an Anker 60w cable, 10ft. So I went ahead and got the 10ft cable. So my question is....is it really make difference/or should i be concern between 65w vs 60w cable?? It is working fine on my Galaxy Book Ion.

Thanks guys

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hi NetB! So good to see you here, and with new toys too! FYI, I joined the Samsung family (rejoined would be more accurate... after a 6-year hiatus) with a Galaxy S10+. It's a great device, both hardware- and software-wise :newpalm:

I checked the specs on your Ion, and they're not very clear regarding the power required to charge the battery. It says the Ion consumes 65W, and the battery is around 4500 mAH. I imagine the power figure is the maximum, because it's a tad too high to be average for a smallish device. There could be a problem if you use the Ion while connected to a charger and doing some intensive tasks. In this scenario I guess the device will consume the stated 65W, plus it will use some extra power to charge its battery. How much, I don't know, but I'm guessing it could be an additional 5W to 15W, bringing the total power requeriment to between 70W and 80W. In this case the 60W cable may be overloaded, and you would notice this if the cable gets warm. If overloaded frequently, the 65W cable could degrade over time, which wold be noticed by the cable getting warmer every time, or maybe the insulation would start to discolor, or become otherwise affected. This is something of an extreme scenario, because I'm asssuming high power consumption, and I'm guessing the power requirements, and I'm also guessing how much power the Ion uses to charge its battery.

Under normal usage I think it's not very probable that the 65W cable will have a problem. In any case, it's simple to identify any problem: cable gets warm, battery charges slowly, flames appear in places other than the kitchen range... (just kidding! :p), and any of these would indicate that the 65W cable is not up to the task. In that case maybe you could get two 100W cables and join them with some kind of adapter to make a 12 feet cable.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    NetBrakr, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  3. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Thanks raspy. I forgot that my Ion had fast charging capability. It charge from 0-85% (battery life extender) in 1 hr and 40 mins. So which means the 60w cable is fine with both charging and running the laptop at the same time.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

For runs that long i've learned to get an "active repeater" cable. And an article I read just a few days ago suggested that Thunderbolt was especially finicky about signal strength. I've just gotten a 10' such cable - I have a Thunderbolt docking station on the way to play with and see what I can learn real-world. We shall see...

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.