Upgrading to 4G - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by CLeonard, Jan 30, 2012.

?

Are you using 3G or 4G?

1. I'm using 3G

80.0%
  2. I'm using 4G

20.0%
  1. CLeonard

CLeonard Brighthand Site Admin Super Moderator

I’ve read a lot of articles about 4G and watched innumerable commercials about it, which usually involve lightning striking something. I get it, lightning imagery for lightning fast speeds. Currently, I’m trapped in a 3G world as I have an iPhone4 with Verizon. So for those of you with 4G, is it worth it to upgrade my phone just to be able to use 4G? Is the speed upgrade really noticeable? Are you seeing your billing rates increasing because of it? Is anyone in the same boat, wondering whether it’s worth it?
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

3G on my Sprint Touch Pro2. If I go 4G (which isn't even available where I live yet (but they'll gladly sell me a 4G device)) my bill goes up $10 a month. Paying for a service I can't even use. Last month, I used 4GB of data on 3G. I have an unlimited data plan. If I switch to 4G, I still will have unlimited data.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta boldly battling the XenForo-ces {squeek!!}

No 4G coverage where I need it, working away from home. And based on my experience w/ 3G battery life (somewhere between poor & awful), I wouldn't go to 4G if it was available at this time. just my 2¢
  4. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

The area I work in only got 3G coverage a few months ago. Before that, it was only EDGE, and many places around still don't have 3G. So no, having a 4G device is not worth much to me.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

3G here, but I have faster WiFi at home. Turns out the crap on the internet is just faster crap at higher speeds. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I read news online. I don't even read at 3G speeds. And stream videos? I have streamed Netflix by tethering my Nook Color to my TP2, and the quality if just fine. But I prefer playing movies locally, not streaming.
  6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Truth be told... I would say that 4G is overrated.

Yes, it's blisteringly fast. The speed bump over 3G isn't exaggerated--I've actually gotten easily 12-14 megabits in just an off the cuff speed test in the Buffalo suburbs.

That said, you're talking about trading off a considerable amount of battery life for 4G, and I'm not sure what you get is really worth the improvement. Unless you do a lot of HD video streaming, or download some really big files, I'm not sure what you can do on 4G that you can't on 3G. The speed difference in web browsing isn't going to save you hours a day, and you can exhaust your data ration just fine on 3G without needing to be able to do it within 30 minutes like you can on 4G.
  7. ernesthelmer

ernesthelmer Mobile Enthusiast

Unless the following issues are fixed, there's no point getting a 4G.

It's anti-technology: Apple keeps rejecting new features other manufacturers are implementing—like using a phone as a wi-fi hot spot—because they're too expensive. Know what else is expensive? An iPhone.

No Flash: the fact is that iPhone users can't see the whole web, and Android users can.

Its multitasking sucks: Ever tried instant messaging on the thing? Enough said.
    The headphones suck: Again, Apple charges premium prices, so why these “offensively bad” bargain-basement earbuds?

It's not a phone: “It's a computer that happens to have a phone bolted on.” It's uncomfortable to talk on for long periods and gets at best mediocre reception.
  8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Not using 3G nor 4G. I can't join the poll. There is plenty of 3G coverage from at least 4 carriers over here, but I don't have a 3G device, nor I currently long for one. Not sure about the current status of 4G. GPRS gives me what I want or need mobile, and that's it. The moment I consider a 3G device, pretty much I'll have to think about ditching PAYG as well.
  9. bpsekh

bpsekh Newbie

I have a 4G capable phone, but I don't get 3G coverage where I live. Mainly it was just because I felt it was time for an upgrade, and the phone I happened to want wsa 4G capable.
  10. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I could have gone for a 3g phone when I went back to T-Mobile, this time on prepaid. I got a Galaxy S instead. The price was the same so why not?

Battery life is only OK, but I'm not a heavy user and seldom use this phone for voice.

I live a short ways out in the country so only get EDGE at home, this despite the fact that I have a T-Mobile tower maybe 3 miles from my house. Guess it just doesn't have the 4G gear.

Anyway, I get 4G in town, either the ones near my home or in the city where I now commute to work. I don't think it's especially fast but certainly more capable than EDGE.

Funny thing. When I lose 4G, it always drops to EDGE. Never have I seen a 3G indicator.

Based on my brother's experience with his original Droid, I could be quite happy with Verizon 3G, which is ubiquitious, but I don't see paying the VZW tariff for something I just don't absolutely need.
  11. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

In my experience stated in THIS THREAD, I'd have to say that it's worth every penny.

I don't know about the Verizon, AT&T, etc., but I do know that Sprint's previous 4G premium charge of $10 is now across the board for all data capable phones (4G or not) and now referred to as a "SmartPhone charge". If Verizon is doing the same thing, then why not get a phone that, when it's available, can do 4G?

There are 3 distinct areas where I live that I frequent almost every day that has strong 4G available, and I gotta say -- it rocks! I've also noticed a lot more 4G access when traveling, and when the entire family of six is using my phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, 4G definitely helps big-time. Personally, I feel a lot of it has to do with all the phones around me that clogging up the bandwidth on 3G. I get noticeably faster speeds with 1 bar at 4G than I do with full bars at 3G, so I use 4G whenever I can.
  12. Varjak

Varjak Newbie

IP, do the 'bars' matter when it comes to 3G and 4G? It's digital, so it might mean a bigger power draw if the signal is weak; but I think the speed would be the same, no matter the number of bars. Maybe not though.
  13. internetpilot

I honestly don't know. What you're saying definitely makes sense and that would definitely explain why it still seems so fast even on just one versus three bars 4G.

I'm a retired network engineer, but unfortunately I retired long before Wi-Fi became such a common household protocol. Back when I was in the business, Wi-Fi was a huge no-no for physical security reasons. Now I never bother to learn more about techie things than I need to know at a user level. I'm even reduced to cease with the buzz words and instead call things "thingmawhatsits" and "wireless network jobbers" and "pluggie innie thingies"...
  14. jigwashere

Are you my wife? :confused:
  15. internetpilot

No, since my retirement to be a stay-at-home dad, I've actually become my wife's wife. And she's still neck deep in IT as a CTO, so she's still using all the buzz words to dazzle the customers and confuse the Board of Directors at budget time! ;)
  16. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Funny you should mention that. I have a Galaxy S and sometimes it displays a maddeningly slow load time for the most trivial things. I googled the definition of a common word, of all things and got so frustrated with the thing, I put it down and ignored it. A co-worker sits nearby and streamed Pandora practically all day on a Samsung Sidekick.
  17. jigwashere

I'm new to 4G and I'm still not sure it's worth it, but I can say it's the only way to talk and surf at the same time on Sprint's network.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  18. pj_automata

pj_automata Newbie

I have 4G on my phone but have never managed to use it since my carrier does not have reception in my area.

3G is fast enough for what I usually use my phone for - email, videos, games. Rarely when I use my phone for tethering, I wish I could use 4G, but apart from that 3G is good enough.