Updating ROM in unlocked phone

Discussion in 'AT&T Tilt' started by josianna, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josianna

josianna Mobile Enthusiast

I'm waiting for my refurbished, unlocked Tilt to arrive and am planning to put in my Consumer Cellular SIM card. I noticed that there is a ROM update on the HTC site. If I install it, will it compromise the unlocking of the phone? If so, will it matter, since Consumer Cellular resells AT&T service?

I'm afraid I don't know much about phone unlocking and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
    Joanna

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm sorry that no one has responded yet to your question. It is not because this thread has not been viewed; it has been viewed at least 64 times. Most likely no one has an answer for you. Have you considered asking this question at the Consumer Cellular or HTC sites?

Your other duplicate post regarding this matter has been removed. Please do not post the same issue in more than one thread or forum area. Patience is required. :)

3. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Probably way too late to help the OP, but in case anyone else arrives at this thread looking for an answer....

I upgraded my ROM and unlocked my phone, but I can't remember in which order. The point is though, I think unlocking and ROM updating are independent of each other, so I don't think it matters which you do first.

The ROM upgrades are based on EMEI or Serial Number, so if the phone is branded by the original mobile phone company / cell phone carrier, you will only be able to upgrade when that company/carrier releases their upgrade and it won't un-brand the phone.

The exception is custom ROMs which aren't officially sanctioned by HTC. There are also steps you can take to unbrand your phone (and as a result you can probably use a stock ROM update), but I didn't go for this option because there is a risk of bricking the phone and I didn't want to take that risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.