Update to v. 3.1.3 (7E18)

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by lelisa13p, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

New version of iTunes released earlier this week, along with an upgrade to OS v. 3.1.3 for iPod Touch and iPhone. Takes a little time to install but is supposed to improve performance of iPhone 3Gs plus some other stuff. :)

Apologies if this is posted somewhere; I didn't see any mention of it.

2. Old Blue

Old Blue 2nd to the last samurai

Mahalos! :)

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I posted a news article about it on the release day, but it's already be pushed off by newer stories. Still, here it is if anyone is interested:
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?p=1795459

I installed it on my iPod touch (Gen3) but I haven't noticed any changes.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

Supposed to improve battery reporting on the 3GS. Really can't say if it seems like things are different.

An interesting question is why they released it at all now. Couldn't it wait since we're expecting a major update soon?

If the iPhoneOS was like the MacOS in general, we could say that 3.1.3 is required for 3.2, but that can't be the case since the OS gets replaced on the iPhone every time. Doesn't it?

5. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

I installed it on my Touch, but haven't noticed any differences. Waiting to see if 3.2 pans out into useful new features as well.....

6. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

I think you're right about the OS being replaced in its entirety for every upgrade.

However, the Mac OS doesn't technically say things like "10.6.1 is required for 10.6.2" - Apple always offers combo updates somewhere within their download pages, although they sometimes show up a little later than the individual updates. But they usually offer a single upgrade that can take you all the way from 10.X.0 -> 10.X.Current. :) They just don't offer combos for things like 10.X.m -> 10.Y.n, since that upgrade costs money.

7. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

It used to be that you only saw the next point-level update (the "delta" update), but now I think you get shown the combo updater if you're missing the most recent delta. So if I skip 10.6.3 and wait for 10.6.4, I'll get shown the 10.6.4 combo updater in Software Update, which contains elements of both deltas.

Lots of experts (some real, some imagined) say you should use the combo updater whether you need it or not.

8. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

Regardless of the experts, personally I just need to see that in order to believe it... I use delta updates far more often than combo updates, and I have never experienced any issues because of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.