Update from branded Win Mob 6 to un-branded Win Mob 6.1 - what chance of problems?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by CEB, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Ah...Now I get it.

You're trying to d/l the official ROM...for some reason I assumed you were downloading a cooked ROM.

What you're running into is the issue that official unbranded ROMs only install on official unbranded devices, and official branded ROMs only install on official branded devices. If i had to guess, I'd say it has to do with carrier control of carrier devices, and the desire to lock them down, and since in the case of subsidized phone the carrier is the customer...

Blech to the whole thing.

2. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Rick, my replacement phone will be an unbranded/SIM-free Touch Pro II, but at £475 I can't find enough 'change' just yet :D Will be cheaper over then next 18 months, probably, and gives me the flexibility to upgrade and/or change provider to get good value.

Yes, Questionfear, I think you're right; you can't move from branded to unbranded without using cooked ROMs and a lot of hassle. Luckily in the UK the carriers don't block features (such as WiFi) as some US carriers do, so my version is pretty similar to the manufacturer's original. I just wanted a new look on the phone (no branding), to fix a lousy video bug, threaded SMS, and maybe to speed it up a bit. Nothing major enough to go to the trouble and the risk I might mess up and brick the phone.

However, if my phone keeps freezing I'll either hard reset it, or I might be back here to risk all and upgrade.

Thanks for all your help :)

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

And your carrier never released a 6.1 update? That's too bad...and a bit odd.

4. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

That's a good point. I'll check whether the carrier released an upgrade. It won't remove the branding, but it might give me the other benefits.

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Yep. Especially because I know AT&T offered a 6.1 update to the Tilt here...and most carriers offered their high end phones a jump to 6.1 when it came out.

6. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Too bad, Colin. I'm following this with a bit of interest - I've now got Touchie, my unlocked ("international") TP2 and am waiting for the WM 6.5 update. Since it's not a carrier version, I have to get the update directly from HTC. There's a slight hitch, though - It MUST come from the HTC region for which my device was originally built. That's Malaysia, in my case. :confused: When you try to download a ROM upgrade such as this, the HTC site requires your device serial number, which is tracked to ensure the correct ROM image is downloaded. (I got the same message you mentioned when I attempted to download from the UK site.) I don't see it as a major issue, myself, but be aware when you get an unbranded device.

Also, I was curious how the update would go for you, as I'm a bit "hesitant" about doing it - The last thing I want to do is brick a fairly new device! :eek: I'd probalby forego the update if I wasn't sure it was intended for my device.

Keep us posted on your progress and future directions!

Joe

7. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Last night I listened to the latest WMExperts podcast (direct link to episode 75 mp3 (33.4MB)). They talk about custom ROMs and say it's scary the first time, but if you take your time and follow the instructions to the letter, you should be fine.

I've had second thoughts about installing the T-Mobile ROM update. Any ROM update could go wrong and brick the phone, so if I'm going to update, I might as well install the unbranded version.

Yes, thanks. I had found your thread when I was googling; very interesting.

Although my device is 18 months old, if it doesn't work I'll either have to go back to a Sony Ericsson W810i (no WiFi, rubbish PIMs) or buy a "touchie" to replace it, and I don't have that kind of cash at the mo, so I have similar fears.

I think the XDA Developers site has custom ROMs (created by 'chefs') and the original HTC version for that handset, regardless of its origin. The custom ROMs have enhancements for speed and other things such as weather icons on the home screen. It seems that you pick the ROM that is most suited to your needs. I'm going to read their n00b guide later today if I get time, and maybe try an update then. I'll let you know.

I'm a bit BH rusty, am I allowed to post links to other forums? If so, I'll post a link to the n00b guide later.

8. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Yeah, we get a link posted to other sites occasionally - I've used a couple to find stuff at xda. I've browsed around a little there, but just haven't had the time to dig into much over there. The n00b guide linkie might be quite helpful, as I've not stumbled over that yet.

All that said, I'm just a little averse to doing much with a cooked ROM, at least in my own current n00b stage. Perhaps once I have plenty of time / experience under my belt I'll become more comfortable with the idea. For not though, it's an "educational diversion" on my part so, again, I'll follow your decisions and actions with some interest.

All the best!

Joe

9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

CEB, if you're concerned about bricking your device, why are you more comfortable using a cooked ROM over the official one?

If you use the official one, and something goes wrong, HTC or T-Mobile HAVE to do something. If you use a cooked one you are SOL if something goes wrong.

10. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Here's the n00b link for XDA Developers Flashing Your First Kaiser Rom (For Noobs)

Another excellent point Quaestionfear. However, I think HTC will tell me to go to T-Mobile, and T-Mobile won't be interested (or competent) now that my contract is over and they know they're losing me to another provider.

I'm undecided again lol. I won't have time to do it this afternoon anyway, so I'll have a good read through the link above and let you know what I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.