Update from branded Win Mob 6 to un-branded Win Mob 6.1 - what chance of problems?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by CEB, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Hello :D

I know, do a search! But very short on time. Maybe someone has an estimate of the chances of me getting into trouble.

I've got a T-Mobile (UK) branded HTC Tytn II, unlocked (SIM-free) and out of warranty. The upgrade from Win Mob 6 to 6.1 sounds like it's worth 30 mins to do and 30 mins reinstalling a few apps, and I'd get the bonus of losing all the T-Mobile branding.

What are the chances of me running into serious problems (ie anything that would take more than an extra hour to solve)?

Thanks.

Colin.

2. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Well, no answers here, or anywhere else I asked. Will be doing this this today if I can. Will let you know how it goes.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

luck, CEB!

4. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I'm too new to WM to offer any advice, but I'll echo Rick's wishes of luck!

Let us know how it turns out.

Joe

5. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thanks guys.

Well, here goes. Just trying to copy as many RAM files to my PC as I can, in case I need the originals at any point. Will then DL the upgrade installer, and off I go.

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

It should be fine...I would just reinstall everything manually, rather than doing a restore from your previous backups once everything is up and running.

7. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thanks. That's the plan. I think I only have 4 apps to install.

8. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Oh, fallen at the first hurdle. I can't even download the upgrade, the website gives me the error "Sorry, this software download is not suitable for your device." I wonder if it's because my phone is branded T-Mobile (UK).

9. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

It shouldn't be this hard. I've done an hour of googling and this is my conclusion: if you can't get the update/upgrade from HTC then don't bother unless you really, really, really have to upgrade. If you really, really, really have to upgrade, the go here for a n00b guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=433835. My phone is working, albeit with a few minor glitches and some branding that I want to remove, so it's not worth the effort.

My advice, don't buy branded/subsidised phones. Buy direct from the manufacturer and get a cheaper (air-time) SIM-only contract. Upgrading will (should) be easy with a phone bought direct.

I'm grumping off to Tesco now to get a one-month contract for my air-time. :(

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

well, that stinks on ice. I think your advice is quite sound, Colin, if the initial out of pocket chunk of change is manageable...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.