Unresponsive touchscreen on Galaxy Nexus unlock screen?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by tbessie, May 24, 2012.

1. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Does anyone who has a Galaxy Nexus (or similar ICS phone) have this problem where you have "slide unlock" enabled, and when you press the power button after the phone sleeps, the touchscreen is unresponsive?

I believe it has something to do with badly-behaving apps that haven't been fully modified to play nice with ICS, or perhaps other things having to do with multi-tasking... nobody seems to know. There are a few bug reports on Google's Android bug system, but these problems were reported long ago and no action has been taken as of yet (ICS 4.04).

Very frustrating, esp. if someone is calling you and you can't even answer the call.

You have to put the phone to sleep and wake it up again (with the power button) about 4 or 5 (or more) times before the slide-unlock works again.

Some folks have suggested that this would constitute a breach-of-contract with Google, and also is illegal because you wouldn't be able to dial "911" when needed.

- Tim

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I haven't seen this with either of the Galaxy Nexus devices that I've used. Just to check the obvious, is there any chance of water/moisture having come in contact with the screen before this happens? Water reacts in the same way human skin does, so it can fool the touchscreen into thinking it's being pressed somewhere else, essentially causing the touchscreen to freeze briefly.

3. tbessie

Interesting... nope no moisture on screen. There is a screen protector but this was happening before I put it on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

4. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

You sure you shouldn't maybe seek a replacement? You do seem to be having a number of issues. Would be nice to rule out that it's a lemon, even if it isn't.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I agree with Hook. Fuzzy appearance and unresponsive screen might indicate a hardware problem. Your carrier's tech support will likely want you to do a factory reset and do a few tests before exchanging it, so be prepared for that.

6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I'll second that--a defective or damaged touchscreen might account for both issues, both the glass blurring the screen and not responding to taps.

7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'll fourth that recommendation. :)

If you like everything else about it and went to the trouble of selecting that particular device after doing your homework, you owe it to yourself to see if the device itself is at fault, as opposed to the whole model being inferior.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out. (I'm hoping that it's your particular item.)

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  8. tbessie

Thanks all for your responses (and suggestions I request a replacement).

I don't think my carrier (AT&T) would be involved, since this was a direct-from-Google-Play purchase (the Galaxy Nexus model being sold by Google).

I'm not sure what their return policy is, and if they allow replacements, I'd likely get a dreaded refurb (which I hate). Even so, I've seen this issue mentioned several times around the web - could be a reasonably common defect, or something that only happens with some combinations of settings and/or apps.

Here's an example:

Issue 23382 - android - Touch screen unresponsive with Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

- Tim

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm sorry it's not been a good experience; but your idea of a 'breach' seems a bit extreme. More like an disfunctional device; not a deliberate attempt to prevent 911 or whatever. And, as you write, it might be faulty apps, not the device itself.

10. tbessie

Varjak...

I didn't say it was a breach of contract. I said SOME PEOPLE had suggested it... to quote what I said:

Myself, I don't know what I'd consider it, except highly inconvenient and annoying, more than anything else.

And indeed, it may be faulty apps. I'd hope that the folks at Google will be able to modify ICS so that faulty apps couldn't cause this. The task of uninstalling/rebooting/testing one app at a time to find the culprit is a bit annoying, as you can imagine. :)

- Tim

11. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

It's like NVFS all over again. ;-)

12. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

and it may be a stock app, which you're unable to remove without root access.

it's a Google/Samsung responsibility

13. tbessie

After some experimentation, it SEEMS to be tied to WiFi somehow - perhaps a background process or app accessing the net via WiFi. After many cycles of sleep/wake when this was happening, I noticed that the WiFi icon went away when I was finally able to unlock the phone. Not sure what this signifies, but it's a hint anyway.

- Tim

14. tbessie

Just a followup - it definitely has to do with WiFi, either when something is using it or when it is reconnecting - unsure which. But if I turn off WiFi (but leave on carrier service), this problem goes away.

- Tim

15. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Tim, any real resolution to this? I consider turning off wifi a work-aroundÂ…