Unexpected hard reset

Discussion in 'Tungsten E series' started by MacGee, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGee

MacGee Mobile Enthusiast

I switched on my T|E and found it had reset itself. It was sitting on the table on recharge for an unknown length of time. It may also have been very close to the laptop at times. It's in an aluminium case. I'd like to know what's caused this and how to avoid it happening again.

MacGee.

2. pdamonster

pdamonster Mobile Evangelist

Here's some food for thought. Yesterday I mentioned in a thread my pda wouldn't even switch on after it idles for a while, unless I did a soft reset. Now its fine after a hard reset. I think the culprit was 'PDA defense' which locks down the pda after a set time of idle, and which also has a 'bomb' feature which erases everything under conditions you specify like no hotsync within 10 days ..etc. So as I was told, check what software you have on it, maybe that was your problem. I'd do a hard reset again and keep it without extras for a couple of days to see if it behaves the same way.
    Hope that helps.

3. MacGee

MacGee Mobile Enthusiast

I thought I would have to reinstall all my software, but, of course, I just had to HotSync and most things were restored. The trouble is, it restored all sorts of stuff I'd deliberately deleted and failed to restore some things I really wanted. Another question: is there a way to clean up the backup information on the computer?

(Hi, pdamonster. I couldn't follow your sensible advice because I needed to get at some Word to Go files immediately.)

MacGee.

4. pdamonster

pdamonster Mobile Evangelist

Here's what I did to avoid having Hotsync place everything back on the pda, which would defy the purpose of my hard reset. I browsed over to C:\Program Files\Palm\ET and manually copied the folders that contain data I want to keep, like address, datebook, expense, memopad, note pad, todo. There's more of course but it's all on my SD card, like acrobat files and Docs2go documents so that was fine. I then uninstalled all palm software on my pc, reinstalled palm desktop from the T|E cd, and manually copied those folders I backed up back to the ET folder. After doing the hard reset on my palm and running a hotsync, it installed the initial stuff it normally should on the first hotsync like Photos and all those basics, and synched my memos and whatever I chose to keep.
    If you do this remember there's more stuff that you might need to backup too in your case, depending on what you have.
    Hope it helps.

5. ken.chang

ken.chang PDA what?

My T/E, which has numerous other issues, has begun to have a new problem: unexpected hard reset.

At work this morning, I connected my T/E, which was fully charged, to my laptop at work. The laptop is connected to a separate monitor and keyboard through a docking station. I let it sit for a while. After 15 minutes, I tried to power on with a power switch. It did nothing. I pressed the reset button on the back, which essentially should have performed a soft reset.

Well, it powered on, but it lost ALL the data! The power was still 100%!

This has happened once before, about three months ago. I did not think of it much. Every dog gets a first bite, and every electronic stuff gets to have at least one unexplained failure, which could be just a random chance.

But when this happened again this morning, I am a bit puzzled and concerned. It was working fine yesterday, and I have not installed any new programs on it for quite some time. It was not dropped, jostled or exposed to anything unfriendly to an electronic unit.

I had my data backed up, so it was not a problem getting them back, but I do not want to see this happen on any regular basis. In the hopes of finding an answer, it searched this forum, but I found nothing useful, other than this thread. I am wondering whether there is some explanation that you guys found or whether the problem repeated for you guys as well....

Anyway, I am hoping someone can provide me with some insight...

Thanks.

6. JSHwnc

JSHwnc Mobile Enthusiast

The exact same thing happened to my T/E about 2 weeks ago. I had charged mine overrnight with the AC adapter. When I got to work & turned it on.... nothing. So, I had to press the reset button on the back, which should have done a soft reset. However, like yours, mine hard reset & lost everything. Luckily, I have backupbuddy backup to card at midnight every night, so I didn't lose anything. (so, it died sometime after the backup)

Unfortunately, I don't have any insite on why it happened. I've been paranoid about losing everything since then, so if anyone has any ideas about wha happened, it would be great!

I don't tink it's related, but about a year ago, my T/E hung up while plugged into my computer. That time it hung with the Palm logo on the screen & nothing but a hard reset would turn it on. That time, hitting the resent button alone, did nothing, so I had to do a hard reset (pressing the powerbutton and the reset button together).

I've had mine since Nov 2003.