Unemployment map

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by r0k, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r0k

r0k Dazed

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

:( I know far too many friends that have lost their jobs. This map further drives home the point, that this holiday season, is going to be rough on countless people.

3. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

What I found really interesting is that the one "bright spot" for a long time in the East was West Virginia. It was one of the last eastern States to go dark, and there were still counties at the end of the animation that were "just" red.

Some days I'm glad I left there. On other days, and when I see something like this, it makes me think that WV is kind of a hidden treasure. Granted, its caught up the rest of the East as far as unemployment is concerned, but for a time, if you wanted a job, that was where you should go. Maybe that's why it caught up.

Now it appears that "Go West, young man" (or wo-man, of course) has meaning again. But not too far west.

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I had a similar observation about Texas but left it out of my original post so that follow up posters wouldn't infer anything political. I have family in Texas and while houses have been sitting on the market for years in the Detroit area, they reported that houses were going in 2 weeks or less in San Angelo, TX earlier this year.

Northern Alaska is quite the "bright" spot as well. Any takers? No? What's wrong with 180 days of darkness? Remember it's followed by 180 days of light!

5. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

That's a really compelling animation. Every incumbent in America is going to want their nitroglycerin refilled after watching it.

I'd be more concerned about the male-to-female ratio. A guy like me needs the odds stacked in my favor as much as possible. Otherwise, all the extra hours of darkness in the world aren't going to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.