Understanding Why WiFI Will Not Work

Discussion in 'Palm' started by NetBrakr, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

LOL! Probably a good reason why. I still like to believe in the conspiracy theory that the carriers demand to not have it because then no one would pay for the data charges.

The other solution is to get the Enfora Wi-Fi sled. I think it will work on the Treo 680.

2. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Yeah, Cingular is just plain MEAN. MEANIE!! :p

JC

3. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

I've been trying out a Rogers branded Treo 680 and I have to say that I really dislike the branded junk that they put into the Treo. Since I have an unbranded unlocked Treo 650, I found that the Rogers branding the stuff they've put in really gets intrusive and annoying. So, I doubt I will get any branded GSM Treo. To me, it's worth it to pay upfront for the unlocked and unbranded Treo. Signing the 3 year contract still adds up if you calculate the cost and you're bound to the contract. But that's just me.

And I don't wanna mess with the ROM and remove all that junk so it's just unlocked for me.

4. NetBrakr

I totally agreed with you. But since I am on little bit cheap side, I have to continue another 2-yrs with them...I got no problem with that, Cingular's service is always excellent to my experience. :)

JC

5. PatrickS

PatrickS Gadget Magnet

Since folks have gotten the Enfora sled to work with the 680, isn't this PalmOS-cant-handle-it mantra we keep hearing something of a red herring?

6. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

Just to throw this into the mix, Cingular does sell the 8525 - a WinMob device with built-in Wifi...

WyreNut

7. NetBrakr

This is great news, because we have proof that WiFi is a possibility.

Yeah! I forgot about those devices, 8125 & 8525, have WiFi. :mad: WHY CINGUlAR DO THAT?

JC

8. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

The argument as I've always heard it is that Palm OS can't handle multiple pure packet-data network connections (WiFi and cellular, for instance) well if at all. The Enfora sled connects via the serial port, as does Bluetooth (albeit a virtual serial port), which is easier for POS to handle. I don't know how technically accurate that is, though.

9. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

You might be a lot closer with that assessment then you think ;)

10. noisygecko

noisygecko Mobile Evangelist

I don't understand what folks here are saying about Palm OS "not handling wifi". Do you mean both at the same time?

I was using a TX till just recently, and it has wifi built in. For networking on the TX I was able to do Bluetooth via my mobile phone GPRS, or wifi. But not both at the same time.

The wifi worked fine, but it was a pain to log onto wifi networks with it. Since our wifi network here at work is one that you have to log into, I didn't find it very useful. The fact that doing GPRS over my mobile phone was clunky and didn't always work made the TX and phone not a very good system in my opinion. I have an unlimited data plan, so I like being able to sync my email and browse the web really easily from anywhere on my 680.

-Sim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.