Unable to install DSTUpdater

Discussion in 'm500 series' started by dhdurgee, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhdurgee

dhdurgee Newbie

I have just purchased a refurbished m500 unit for a very reasonable price. I am attempting to apply all the software updates, but I find I can't apply the DSTUpdater patch. The file appears on the apps menu, but if I attempt to run it I get a message about "Cannot find CityTimeDB. Please run CityTime application and rerun DSTUpdater."

Where can I get the required CityTime application so I can apply this patch?

I also see that this unit has PalmOS 4.0, not the 4.1 release. I seems as if the 4.1 release is no longer available at Palm, does anyone have a pointer to where I can obtain this download? If not, perhaps someone can make an ISO from one of the CDs and upload it?

I also found out that I can't use 2GB SD cards with this unit, so I have ordered a 1GB card as they are impossible to find locally.

Dave
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Moderator Super Moderator

You have to manually adjust for DST. It won't automatically make the switch.
  3. dhdurgee

dhdurgee Newbie

If that is the case why is the DSTUpdater listed in the Palm support downloads for my m500 here:

kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article47831_en.html#m500

It makes no sense to offer a download for a feature that is not supported. The other support downloads appear to have applied and worked as expected, except I can't test the bigger SD card patch until I get a 1 GB SD card after finding out the hard way that a 2 GB card doesn't work.

I have searched as best I can for the CityTime application, but it must be an older version as the current release does not include a CityTimeDB.pdb at all.

Dave
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Moderator Super Moderator

Let's wait for someone more familiar with the device to come along. My oldest device is an m130, running OS 4.1. I'd have to research the DST updater question; it is a manual switch when the time changes. It's in Prefs. My PC that had all those files died in 2006 so I can't look for mine. :(
  5. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

I don't know the answer, but I do note that while it is listed on the m500 page, when you go to the page for the updater, the m500 is not listed. So the real question is, which page is right?
  6. dhdurgee

dhdurgee Newbie

I had not noticed that! So there is conflicting information about this update.

I have done a bit more searching and found this:

kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/2952_en.html

Which says in particular:

Tungsten (All), Zire (All), Treo 180/180g/270, Visor (All), i705, m-series, VII-series, V-series, III-series Neither Palm OS nor the CityTime application will automatically adjust your system clock for Daylight Saving Time. Daylight Saving Time support within CityTime keeps the relative time zones displayed within the application accurate.

So it sounds like the update basically applies to the CityTime application, which I can't seem to locate anywhere for the appropriate version.

Any idea where I can download the PalmOS 4.1 upgrade? All the searches I have done point to a Palm page that is no longer available. I have seen posts that with the updates applied to PalmOS 4.0 there is little difference between the two, does anyone have a list of those few improvements I am missing without the 4.1 upgrade?

Dave