Unable to install applications on Palm TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Pinmac, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

I haven't installed any applications on my TX for a couple of years and now that I want to I find I can't. I had McPhling waiting in my desktop software but when I hotsynched it doesn't show up at all. I went to look to see if the file was there but I can't find the program to use for this (is it called Files?) I looked at Uninstall which I have loaded and McPhling isn't listed. I tried to send it via bluetooth but it said that it already existed on the TX.
    I then tried installing Filez as I remember this was very useful but that won't install either.

I'm pretty sure that there's something I've forgotten and would be grateful for any help.

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Make sure you have right version. Version 5 should have an icon and is for Palm OS 5. Version 4 is for OS4 and requires a hack manager.

Did you look in the unfiled category-- that is the most likely place for it to show up, or just check the "All" category.

More infor here:

Mike McCollister: Palm OS Programs

3. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

Hi Hook, thanks for the response. I have all my applications showing under All but I can't see McPhling. I did manage to install Filez by beaming it from an old T2 which I revived and Filez works correctly on the TX but I can't see any files I can recognise as McPhling. I tried installing NVBackup via the Palm Desktop but that has gone the same way as McPhling so I don't know what's going on there.

4. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Pinmac: I loaded the os4 version on my TX but was able to load the os5 version over it. I then erased the version that showed up. I reloaded the os4 version and used UniCMD and found and erased it. I could not find it with fileZ even though there is probably a way to do it there. UniCMD, Uni Commander, Universal Commander for PalmOS®
    Load UniCMD onto your palm run it. the left portion will show the apps to start with. Just scroll down until you find it. I hope this helps.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

it is, indeed, called McPhling, on my TX, in main memory (iirc, if McPhling is on the card it won't run correctly....I may be thinking of another app, though). I verified the name of the app (McPhling) first via the 'info' feature of ZLauncher, and then I used FileZ. hope this is some help

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

I (almost) never installed via hotsync. If I wanted to install something on my TX, I would use an SD card reader to copy the file to the /palm/launcher folder on the SD card and then I could use filez to copy it to main memory if I wanted to. I still have the sd card reader lying here next to my Macbook. I use it to get photos off my digital camera for those few times I still lug it along now that I take pictures using my iPhone and I can email them out instantly as they are taken. But there are still plenty of occasions for me to use the "old fashioned" digicams and for that reason the card reader is still sitting here. I think you can pick one up for between $10 and $20.

BTW, once you have nvbackup installed and working, hotsync becomes a much lower priority.

7. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

The only version of McPhling that wont show up in the uninstall or fileZ is version 4. If Pinmac: had version 5 on the palm it would show up in either of these programs. I tested this on my tx. I was only able to locate the os 4 file with UniCMD. I have had hotsync not install but never corrupt files. The files would need to be corrupted before they entered the hotsync. I would suggest Pinmac: check the old files and computer for virus and malware. I also suggest using fileZ to load like was suggested or MyInstall to load. When I loaded the os 4 version and could not find it, I was able to put the os 5 version on and it worked.

8. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

Thanks for the responses. It was Version 5 of McPhling I was trying. Having managed to beam Filez I found McPhling and NVBackup files were present on the TX but that the programs hadn't installed. I then copied the McPhling .prc file onto and SD card and it installed OK. So I think that is how I'll need to install in future.
    The next problem(!) is getting McPhling to work. The instructions say to pop up a list of recently used applications to swipe from Menu to Apps button. I can't see how this works on the TX. I appreciate that you can change where to swipe to and from but I can't seem to get anything to work. Does anyone know if this is a known problem?

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

keep in mind that the basics for McPhling were written for PDAs with a fixed graffiti area, meaning that the stock graffiti on the TX doesn't matchup with what you're being told. on my TX, I see on the left, the Home/Apps icon on top, below it is the Media icon. on the right, I see on top the Documents icon, below it is the Versamail icon. in any case, McPhling is expecting you to swipe from lower left to upper left, in the graffiti area. myself, I use a hardware button to kick it off, instead of a swipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.