Unable to Hotsync - Identifying user?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by spo151, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spo151

spo151 Newbie

The Palm Vx has worked fine for years. Suddenly I am unable to Hotsync. Sometimes it does not connect at all. Other times there is a connection that hangs with "Identifying User" on the Palm screen. This units works fine at home, I have swapped cradles with no change..

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Reinstall the Palm desktop and hosync manager to the system in which you are experiencing the problem.

3. ticktwrter

ticktwrter Newbie

I ended up installing a new PCI serial card yesterday and that fixed the problem. I still don't know what caused the serial port on my new board(only a month old) to not work. I hadn't done a thing prior to it stopping. Does anyone know how to test the port if I don't have anything else that uses serial?

4. lbrothnyc

lbrothnyc Newbie

I am having the same problem. This happened to me a month ago. I switched PCs, loaded the software and started from scratch. That worked fine until I unexpectedly came across the same problem again. "Connection between handheld and desktop cannot be established." The only conincidental similarity between the two times that this has happened is that my network adminstrator logged on to my PC two days before the Palm refused to sync. No alterations were made to my PC which would have affected the Hotsync process, however. I'm wondering if it's a defect with the Vx?

5. Laurapav

Laurapav Newbie

A similar situation happened to me a few weeks ago - one day, for no apparent reason, my Vx stopped syncing. There was no change to my computer, I didn't add any new software, nothing. We tried loading the software onto another computer and it still didn't work. I've had the Vx for almost 4 years. It's almost as if I hit some "magic" sync number and the machine just quit, so now I am forced to purchase a new palm.

6. BAB2000

You could try a SOFT reset while the unit is in the cradle.

Have used to recalibrate the charge cirucits to Palm logic on M5xx units, but found thread from a while ago, indicating that this reset will clear memory faults internal of the unit, (not precise description but similiar). Any way worth a try.

Also, review these instructions to test your connection through the cradle.

Also, confirm the Hotsync app selecting "Direct Serial" (os 3.5)and then if required try adjusting the settings for direct serial (via edit, Details) adjusting the speed to lower rates. If then functions a connection may be loose or interference from another source could be effecting, or PC serial port maybe bad. Moving connection to alternate comm port another option.

7. Zore

Zore Mobile Enthusiast

LAURAPAV you found a solution with your problem because I am in the same case. Thank you

8. Zore

Zore Mobile Enthusiast

in order to test my connection without being under Windows, I had in time a software under DOS which made it possible to make a backup my palm

Is what somebody has this tool which would enable me to test my on-site connection without charging OS. Thank you in advance

9. Zore

Zore Mobile Enthusiast

My configuration :

PALM V
    Palm OS V3.5.0
    Synchro via Port S?rie

Windows XP PRO SP2
    Palm Desktop V4.1.4

Hello

For some month, I have not been able to make synchro any more. When I press on the button "Synchro" of my palm, it occurs anything on the computer then at the end of a few minutes I have the message on my palm:

"Impossible to establish connection between your Palm and your computer. To check the configuration, then start again "

I very tested:

- In the BIOS, the ports Series COM1 and COM2 are activated
    - Under XP the ports Series COM1 and COM2 are activated and no conflicts
    - the HotSync icon is active and is configured in local and on port COM1
    - I reinstalled the old versions of Palm Desktop
    - I do a Software Reset and a Hardware Reset of my Palm
    - I deactivate FireWall Of XP

The synchro function is well on another computer in Windows 2000
    How then I to make to test the port COM with the base of my Palm to see whether there are answers?
    Is a this problem related to Windows XP? SP2?

Thank you to say to me if somebody already had this problem? Who can help me?

Thank you in advance

10. BAB2000

This confirms your problem is not the handheld unit.

When installing the Palm desktops, and installing, the versions 4.1 and newer install the HOTSYNC manager with LOCAL USB enabled. You must manually select teh LOCAL SERIAL option as well to have the program monitor a serial comm port. (to confirm the HS options, select teh Hotsync Icon from your toolbar)

Also, confirm your Hotsync manager app is open and present on the tool bar or system tray of the XP platform.

To confirm if the handheld is even contecting to the PC, you can monitor the device manager/hardware listing and review. This listing will refresh when the hotsync button is pressed on the handheld if the communications signal is detected. Since conection is via serial cable/cradle, there are not any drivers envolved. Examine the Serial connections during this step.

I hope of some assistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.