Unable to forward an email from iPad

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by stlucia, Mar 8, 2020.

1. stlucia

stlucia Mobile Enthusiast

I'm travelling once again, using my iPad to keep in touch with the world. I'm using the iPad's native email app to access my and my wife's emails, both @aol.com, without any receiving or sending problems except for one:-

I'm trying to forward an email I've received from a third party, to a Hotmail address, but I'm getting an error message that says '. . . the connection to the outgoing server "smtp.aol.com" failed. Additional Outgoing Mail servers can be configured . . . '.

I've successfully forwarded a previous email from this same source to the same Hotmail address a week or so ago, though I did notice that it stuck in my Outbox for a couple of days before going. This time it's been in my Outbox for five days now, during which time I've received several and sent a few other emails without any problem, and also tried daily to resend this problem one.

Any ideas what might be causing this problem, please? Could it be something specific about the email, which is from a company account @gmail, or some oddity about the iPad email app? I know my aol is working okay because I've been sending and receiving emails from and to it.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

no thoughts about the cause of the problem, but given that it's AOL, can't you access it via the webmail, from a browser? and then try to forward it. Good luck! RA

3. stlucia

Thanks for that suggestion Rick. I've just gone to the aol mail page on my browser, logged in successfully, confirmed my backup email and cellphone numbers, and then got sent straight to their news page. No way that I can see to get to my email.

It's quite a short email, so I think I'll copy it manually into a new email and send it like that, rather than try to figure out the mysteries of iOS and AOL!

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. stlucia

Dohh! I've just seen an email from AOL saying they blocked my Google Chrome iPad log-in attempt because it's an 'Unrecognised device'.

Anyway, I've manually copied and sent the email now.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Thanks for replying back w/ the root cause of the problem, might save someone else the trouble you've had :newpalm:

scjjtt, Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  6. stlucia

Just to be clear, that's only the root cause of my not being able to log into my email account by going direct to AOL using Google Chrome on my iPad.

Using Apple's own email browser on the same iPad I have no problem accessing my emails other than forwarding the one specific email that was the subject of this thread.